• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What's good under $300?

eightstrgs

It's probably been asked here before. What's a good detector under $300? I'll be going around old home sites. I've been searching the net for an answer, but really can't find a good answer. One says this one or another says something else. I was thinking about the Teknetics Delta 4000. It's on ebay for $259 with pinpointer and headphones. What you all think?

If your are going to hunt Parks, Yards, Sports fields, tot lots ect; and learn your machine, I think you will do well with the Delta. I have never used one, but have used the Gamma and omega which did well for me. I did hunt places suggested up above, but never did hunt old home sites.

If your are going to hunt Parks, Yards, Sports fields, tot lots ect; and learn your machine, I think you will do well with the Delta. I have never used one, but have used the Gamma and omega which did well for me. I did hunt places suggested up above, but never did hunt old home sites.

That's what I'll be doing, home sites, parks, yards etc. Probably be a dig it all venture. But a machine with good discrimination would be a plus.

I like rigs that run off of AA's..Mid priced rigs...something that holds at least a 50% resale value........then, a guy just gets out and does their very best to make it PAY as fast as possible! Learn to use a screwdriver for Clad stabbing...You probably need the Headphones, but you dont need the Pinpointer...

Set some goals and try to pull over 90 CPH as fast and cheap as possible...Dont over think this...Its a lot easier and faster to pull 4 fresh dropped Q's from a totter than a Merc dime off old dirt permission...so you pull the easy Q's and then go buy a Merc dime if you wish...Its an alternate strategy

Busting clad teaches a guy all sorts of important lessons about how Humans interact with structure and topography, as well as a guy learns the language of the rig in a great big hurry!

...In this Sport, it aint so much the Bow as it is the Indian...You need to learn how to 'see' the drop zones, and the dirt teaches this to attentive students...

Read a lot of posts, try to figure out what style of hunting fits your personality/AO..then get a Bow you are instinctive with, and get outdoors and kill some bunnies!...

Going in wanting to hunt Old Homesites as a complete noob would be very frustrating and unproductive.....you gotta get some hours behind the coil so you grasp the concept of the dealio......

I like rigs that run off of AA's..Mid priced rigs...something that holds at least a 50% resale value........then, a guy just gets out and does their very best to make it PAY as fast as possible! Learn to use a screwdriver for Clad stabbing...You probably need the Headphones, but you dont need the Pinpointer...

Set some goals and try to pull over 90 CPH as fast and cheap as possible...Dont over think this...Its a lot easier and faster to pull 4 fresh dropped Q's from a totter than a Merc dime off old dirt permission...so you pull the easy Q's and then go buy a Merc dime if you wish...Its an alternate strategy

Busting clad teaches a guy all sorts of important lessons about how Humans interact with structure and topography, as well as a guy learns the language of the rig in a great big hurry!

...In this Sport, it aint so much the Bow as it is the Indian...You need to learn how to 'see' the drop zones, and the dirt teaches this to attentive students...

Read a lot of posts, try to figure out what style of hunting fits your personality/AO..then get a Bow you are instinctive with, and get outdoors and kill some bunnies!...

Going in wanting to hunt Old Homesites as a complete noob would be very frustrating and unproductive.....you gotta get some hours behind the coil so you grasp the concept of the dealio......

Point taken and thanks for all that. But I'm not a noob ! Just a retiree on a budget.

I really like the minelap x-terras. There's a new 505 on flebay for $325 shipped. 305s are around $250

A pinpointer is a must IMHO. Especially hunting in the dirt. Maybe not so much at the beach with a large scoop. Just my 2 zincolns. Best of luck!

In recent years with most md companies adding new and improved beginner units to their lineup there is a plethora of new units for under $300 or just above. Oh, and don’t forget the used market! Even some of the mid range units from just a few years ago could be had for about $300 used.

When you decide what you want call a couple of sponsors on this forum and find out what the machine will cost you shipped to your front door. You might be surprised. Manufacturers require dealers to advertise at a set price. That is not always the price that you will pay.

I agree with Beachhunter and MrJeep, a pinpointer is a must. A great help in finding what your machine is hitting on. I have the Delta 4000 and I find it does well enough. I don't use it enough though as I am not a career MD'er. Just when I have the opportunity a couple times a year. My only advice is that you should really try to determine what your main searches are for, i.e. coins, gold, relics, jewelry, etc. Then you can determine which machines are best for those targets. Then you can look for the deals and advice about those specific machines. The Delta 4000 works for me. But, I do salivate to own one of those high falootin' expensive rigs someday.

I would probably go used too

I have both a Gamma 6000 and an Omega 8000 and love these two machines.

I graduated from one to the other and then eventually ended up with an Equinox.

I am probably be going to sell the Omega soon somewhere in the 200 dollar range.. so I KNOW you can find a pretty good deal used.

A pinpointer IS a must....but make sure it's a good one. Which pointer are they including in the package you're looking at?

Eurotek Pro with 11"dd for $299 comes with a free Tek-Point pinpointer and coil cover until the end of the year. A real pin pointer and not the junker with the old delta combo.

I really like the minelab x-terras. There's a new 505 on flebay for $325 shipped. 305s are around $250
This gets my vote too. Can't beat 'em for the $. And the three year transferable warranty is a bonus (not that you'll ever need it).

If you're going new, I still say the Teknetics Minuteman (rebranded Eurotek Pro) for $149 shipped from Teknetics direct is the best deal going. Plenty left over for a 1st-rate pinpointer, which will make your hunts much more satisfying as you learn the ropes. You also limit your investment if you end up not enjoying the hobby as much as you expected.

But if you're patient and observant, $300-$350 will bring some very good machines into reach used - AT Pro, Vaquero, F70-75, Makro Racer, etc.

Back
Top Bottom