After Market Equinox Coils

Azmodeus

Diggin In Illinois
Forum Supporter
Is there some patented technology in the Equinox coils that prevents after market manufacturers from releasing coils for them? I thought a few would have already been on the market or atleast in the works by now but it seems not. I contacted CoilTek asking them if they would be releasing a 5x10 or any after market coils for the Equinox anytime soon. They said they have no plans to make any coils for the Nox at all. I wrote back and told them what a silly business decision I thought that was considering it seems to be the hottest detector on the market right now and they quit talking to me but now I wonder if it's just a matter of legality preventing them from making coils for it. And if that's the case does that mean there won't be any if Minelab themselves don't release them? I would really really like a 5x10 or something close, especially for competition hunts.

There are none available that I know of. From what I can see there are atleast two things preventing aftermarket coils for the equinox right now , the equinox is still very new , and genuine minelab coils for it are actually pretty affordable compared to some. If there ever will be aftermarket coils for the nox it will probably take some time , and whichever company decides to make them there isn't much chance of them making a profit unless they can say its better than minelab coils in some way so they can charge a little more. The equinox with minelab coils would be tough to improve on , its already pushing the bounds of what not long ago was thought almost impossible.

I think a second source should be able to duplicate the coils in performance and trim off some cost. A 6” coil shouldn’t cost $179.

If they can then provide an 8” coil, which ML has not done yet, we’d all win.

My guess is that it is indeed a proprietary legal issue.

Imo, ML has always been $$$-proud of all of their coils on each Minelab machine, and we got clones for all except for the CTX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nel makes the xterra coils and they work great..I’m sure it won’t be long before you see all different size coils from nel or cors for the equinox.

the chip in the coil probably the reason for now after market coils

Just a thought but I'm hoping Minelab will eventually produce an elliptical coil similar to this. Preferably in a 6"x 9" size for the Nox. I believe it would be the perfect compromise between the existing 6" and 11" coils now offered. :grin:

Attachments

• Fotor_15479077468058.jpg
    Fotor_15479077468058.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 811
Just a thought but I'm hoping Minelab will eventually produce an elliptical coil similar to this. Preferably in a 6"x 9" size for the Nox. I believe it would be the perfect compromise between the existing 6" and 11" coils now offered. :grin:

+1

Yes, this is exactly what I was talking about in my original post. We need one like this for the Nox, either 6x9 or 5x10. They are much better suited for competition hunts. CoilTek made the 5x10 for the CTX but they wont be making anything for the Nox so hopefully NEL or someone else comes up with something soon.

the chip in the coil probably the reason for now after market coils

Minelab Xterra also has the chip in the coil,and plenty of aftermarket coils from Mars,nel,Cors..I don’t think that’s gonna be a problem for reverse engineering to figure out seeming they’ve already done it to Minelabs coils

It would be nice to have some competition...the 6" coil at 179 is really pricey IMHO...without competition, there's no incentive to bring the price down.

Those aren't just coils...they're "smart" coils. IDK if this has anything to do with aftermarket makers, but they are pretty new. In time, I would bet more options will come out; especially if they are requested regularly. We should all take turns contacting Minelab, or Nels, Cors, etc...

Back
Top Bottom