A silver candy dish? Help with ID

yacorie

Elite Member
Found this today in a shop. Hallmark looks like sterling from London in 1930?

What is the British flag symbol?

Also the inscription says to the captain and officers USS Skipjack. In Sincere appreciation Lt. I Cochrane RN HMS Dreadnought.

From what I can tell this is the HMS dreadnought nuclear submarine because that person was a commissioned officer of the sub. If that’s true then why would the hallmarks be for 1930 or am I reading it wrong. Why would he be giving this to the skipjack officers....

I give up but thought this team of detectives might be able to help

Attachments

• E52F1841-82A0-476B-B623-19232F279AB6.jpg
    E52F1841-82A0-476B-B623-19232F279AB6.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 576
Ok this is what I think I have figured out. What I thought was a brutish flag looks to be the initials JP over FP which would be a silversmith from the time period. The letter ‘n’ looks to date the piece from 1906.

The 1906 would coincide with the year the HMS dreadnought battleship was commissioned. However, the USS skipjack is a nuclear submarine. In 1960, the Royal Navy commissioned the HMS dreadnought submarine. This was the first nuclear sub for the Royal Navy and used skipjack class technology.

Lt. I. Cochrane was a commissioned officer of the HMS Dreadnought sub according to the dreadnought association website.

Now to figure out what the significance of the “sincere appreciation” was

Last edited:
That's a cool piece of Royal Navy and US Navy history there! My first thought about the hallmark being earlier, was that Lt. Cochrane chose an older piece to have engraved.
There's a story there! The USS Skipjack must have came to the aid of the Dreadnaught in some way, at some time. I would think it is documented somewhere too. Good research project! :yes:

USS Skipjack SS-184 was Commissioned in 1938 and took part of the war against Japan. The second USS Skipjack was the nuclear powered boat.

Back
Top Bottom