Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 PM

Default Beach Hunting in Destin Florida

Hey, I am currently in Destin Florida and need to know if anyone can help me find out how to access the beaches on the gulf side hotels. Seems to be a good place to water hunt but cannot find a public access or a place to park without being a resident of one of the hotels. Help, I will only be here through Thanksgiving and would really like to try this area out.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Elite Member

Google Earth and Google for Public Access can help anywhere in the United States. I travel all over the country and Google is my main source of hunting locations.

Have you asked any of the resorts if you can park there for an early morning hunt? I have been given permission many times by asking.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Elite Member

Destin is a tough place to access. A bit east there is a public beach with parking at the Crab Trap. You could go west towards Okaloosa Island where there is more access. There are no public access areas where you are talking. One reason I did not like Destin was lack of good public access. I also did not like the beaches for the lack of wet sand. Those beaches are sanded in bad, probably due to the BP disaster covering over the tar. The dry sand is wide and when you get to the water there is a steep slope right into the water with little wet. I am used to beaches 40 yards wide from the dry to the water at low tide. Destin has little wet sand even at low tide.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Elite Member

Here you go. Dustin Beach Public Access. http://www.cityofdestin.com/index.aspx?nid=281 From these location you can Google Earth and see if any of the resorts you want to hunt are close by.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:08 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by CanSlaw View post
Here you go. Dustin Beach Public Access. http://www.cityofdestin.com/index.aspx?nid=281 From these location you can Google Earth and see if any of the resorts you want to hunt are close by.
I might be wrong but those access points are for walk in only. There is no parking. It is a variance for home owners in the area not for the public. No parking areas tell it all. I have been there roaming and looking. NADA. I have seen those signs there, no parking areas at all. Just a sign saying access but unless you ride a bicycle or live there then you are not welcome. Neighbors do not need parking. They walk or ride a bike to the beach you can not use. When a need arises to replenish their beach like a hurricane then you pay for it.

Last edited by imalookin2; 11-23-2012 at 04:19 AM.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Elite Member

I believe all the Destin city sites with bathrooms have parking. Norriega point has parking just east of the pass.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by imalookin2 View post
I might be wrong but those access points are for walk in only. There is no parking. It is a variance for home owners in the area not for the public. No parking areas tell it all. I have been there roaming and looking. NADA. I have seen those signs there, no parking areas at all. Just a sign saying access but unless you ride a bicycle or live there then you are not welcome. Neighbors do not need parking. They walk or ride a bike to the beach you can not use. When a need arises to replenish their beach like a hurricane then you pay for it.
I saw several that said "public parking and restrooms". Traveling the way we do and hunting many strange, to me, beaches, I have learned to rely on Google then Google Earth to see whats in the area of parking before wasting a day trying to find an area to hunt. http://fl-destin.civicplus.com/Facil...=detail&RID=31

This was just one that showed parking area, there are a few more on the list. I have hunted some areas that the parking area was for about six cars, but Google Earth shows a 10 story resort right next to it. Good place to try.