Equinox 800 with 6" coil comment

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I have had my 6" coil for quite a while and finally decided to give it a really good test.

My nearby park is super trashy. I mean slammed with poptops, foil, pull tabs, bottle caps and tin cans. Why so trashy, it is the most popular park in the county since it is the only one on the river. On the weekends the parking lots are full and people are parking along the road in on both sides.

Once I dug up some dirt in one hole and filled a gallon ziplock bag. Took back home and found 11 metal items in the bag.

Put in a coin cherry picking program in my bins that basically looked for nickels and pennies and up in terms of coins. Turned down the volume to 5 on all non-coin items. nickels and pennies set at medium tone and volume and all other coins at high volume and pitch.

Only got fooled once with a smashed tin can. Forgot to raise coil which would have ID'd the can.

the 6" coil and a 7 recover speed and 0 iron balance was perfect for this hunt. On iffy good signals switched to gold2 and it stabilized the tone and ID.

bottle caps were easy to ID due to tones and cranking up the F2 to 9 and most of the cap signal died away. also use iron mode to ID bottle caps as well as pumping on them and watch a jumping ID in the display.

Fun hunt when you are just coin hunting. Found all clad and no silver but this park has no real history of silver due to the flooding buries the really old coins beyond detector's depths.

I have had my 6" coil for quite a while and finally decided to give it a really good test.

My nearby park is super trashy. I mean slammed with poptops, foil, pull tabs, bottle caps and tin cans. Why so trashy, it is the most popular park in the county since it is the only one on the river. On the weekends the parking lots are full and people are parking along the road in on both sides.

Once I dug up some dirt in one hole and filled a gallon ziplock bag. Took back home and found 11 metal items in the bag.

Put in a coin cherry picking program in my bins that basically looked for nickels and pennies and up in terms of coins. Turned down the volume to 5 on all non-coin items. nickels and pennies set at medium tone and volume and all other coins at high volume and pitch.

Only got fooled once with a smashed tin can. Forgot to raise coil which would have ID'd the can.

the 6" coil and a 7 recover speed and 0 iron balance was perfect for this hunt. On iffy good signals switched to gold2 and it stabilized the tone and ID.

bottle caps were easy to ID due to tones and cranking up the F2 to 9 and most of the cap signal died away. also use iron mode to ID bottle caps as well as pumping on them and watch a jumping ID in the display.

Fun hunt when you are just coin hunting. Found all clad and no silver but this park has no real history of silver due to the flooding buries the really old coins beyond detector's depths.

Man I love my 6” coil for the Nox800!! I call it my silver sniper. I will find it in some of the trashiest areas, and is surprisingly deep!

Love my 6" coil too. I've seen guys say that it doesn't have any real advantages over the stock 11" coil and while the OEM coil does work great, I'd have to disagree based on my own tests. I guess it just depends on the soil and how the machine is set up.

I saw that. Not to dismiss what Calabash is saying there, but in my own tests I've seen some scenarios with targets that the 6"er hits considerably better than the OEM 11"er. Thats why I'm thinking maybe soil or settings plays a role. Got some good real world results as well. I scored a Merc and some wheats at one spot right outside my back door steps that I've been hitting with every detector I've owned (including the Nox with 11" coil) since 2009. It's been hit from every angle of approach multiple times. I know thats not really apples to apples unless I compare both detectors on the same target on the same day, but it still seems pretty promising with the little coil.

I just really enjoy picking through trash with it. Pinpointing is a breeze, and it gets in between junk targets like a laser.

Anyone have experience with the 6" on the beach? I've considered getting the 6-inch for the beach just to pick through trash but I'm not sure if it would be worth it because of how much less ground I would cover

There are more coins on edge than you might think, the 6" search coil sure makes it easier to recover them.

beephead

Anyone have experience with the 6" on the beach? I've considered getting the 6-inch for the beach just to pick through trash but I'm not sure if it would be worth it because of how much less ground I would cover

Good for around firepits and next to bike paths. That's about it.

you are going to hate me for this, however,you can take a tesoro mojave, (251.10) or a tesoro compadre, (161.00) "roll the disc.to all coins", and hunt exactly the same way...actually,the tesoros would not signal at all on the junk!
i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Ordered a 6" for the Nox 800 yesterday. Priority Mail delivery on Friday ( I hope) to be ready for Saturday morning trashy park/trashy curb strip hunt.
Some of the parks around here are old but still get continuous use and are really tough with a big coil. Same for the curbstrips. Sooooooo many targets under the coil.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom