Minelab Vanquish 540

Still waiting to hear from Kellyco about when they get the 540 in and start to ship them.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Just called KellyCo and now maybe next week they MAY know when they will be getting them in to ship, So I figured maybe the begging to middle of February I may have one in my hands.
I got to say also KellyCo CSR are very nice and easy to deal with.

Got a email from Kellyco blaming a "Industry wide" problem on why I still don't have the 540 and I feel not for a very long time.

I think it's time to look at different MD instead of giving a company a short term loan for free.

GLHH!

Got a email from Kellyco blaming a "Industry wide" problem on why I still don't have the 540 and I feel not for a very long time.

I think it's time to look at different MD instead of giving a company a short term loan for free.

GLHH!

Agree!:laughing:
Ha,haha. That's a great way to put it.

Update:
March is the new date Possible as per a Rep from a company and another company said who would know when a shipment may go out, was very honest and said, " We really don't know when".
All companies called where I feel very honest with me but I also feel that when I come to think about it, BOTH companies companies knew the real time frame and one maybe had a "game plan" to make the books look great for the end of the year. Yes I have seen companies do this then tell their employees to run interference.

NOW things have changed for me. I got rear ended yesterday and have to see a Surgeon on Monday to ease pain outside of meds and now will be looking at other MD like the 540 may have been so I am looking for any and all recommend MD that will help cut down iron digging.
Yes I was up all night on pain.
GLHH

Update:
March is the new date Possible as per a Rep from a company and another company said who would know when a shipment may go out, was very honest and said, " We really don't know when".
All companies called where I feel very honest with me but I also feel that when I come to think about it, BOTH companies companies knew the real time frame and one maybe had a "game plan" to make the books look great for the end of the year. Yes I have seen companies do this then tell their employees to run interference.

NOW things have changed for me. I got rear ended yesterday and have to see a Surgeon on Monday to ease pain outside of meds and now will be looking at other MD like the 540 may have been so I am looking for any and all recommend MD that will help cut down iron digging.
Yes I was up all night on pain.
GLHH

Geeze, Im sorry to hear that Dbbltap. I know about pain from past hearnation of disks and shoulder pain. I've been following this for trying to decide on another detector or not myself. Not sure about another w iron bias. Good question. My interest is low bugdet wise.

DbblTap:
NOW things have changed for me. I got rear ended yesterday and have to see a Surgeon on Monday to ease pain outside of meds and now will be looking at other MD ..... so I am looking for any and all recommend MD that will help cut down iron digging.

First, I'm sorry to hear about the rear-ending and wish you well mending from the discomfort.

Second, let's address the 'pain' you might have from dealing with iron. naturally, a lot depends on the types of sites you search and the frequency of iron-debris encounters, as well as the type of ferrous junk it is. Simply iron nails and similar wire-iron, or various pieces of odd-shaped iron. Then, too, we have places with a lot of very challenging ferrous junk such as pry-off bottle caps, round rusty washers or flattened tin and tin shards. The latter group is more of a challenge for modern motion-based Discriminators to reject cleanly and they often produce a higher audio tone or mixed audio response.

Trying to handle the more common or typical iron discards, such as nails, is one that take a little more patience because some makes and models have a very tough time if you are Coin Hunting and trying to reject the nails and similar iron trash that is closely associated with the desirable targets. We can't forget about making the best search coils choice, and some models can do well with a Concentric coil and others possibly better with a Double-D type coil, and that is mainly dependent on the search coil's size and shape and especially the detector's circuitry design.

It would help readers to know the types of sites you generally search, the field of hunting you generally do (Coin & Jewelry Hunting typical urban areas or jumping into heavy mixed trash in some old-use Relic Hunting areas), and really how you want to deal with problem iron trash.

Your choices to handle most common iron are these:

• Keep the Discrimination just low-enough to hear iron nails.
• Adjust the Discrimination to just barely reject iron nails.
• Increase the Discrimination higher to the Ferrous / Non-Ferrous break-point.

I like to devote the majority of my time to Relic Hunting and most places have a lot of nails and other ferrous and non-ferrous debris to deal with, but I like to know it is there. Iron can be a real problem and mask desired non-ferrous coins and trade tokens, buttons and insignia, and other smaller-size keepers quite easily. With a lower Disc. setting to just accept iron nails, I'll hear the presence of most iron and can then carefully work my coil round it to try and unmask potential good targets.

With Discrimination set just below iron nails my options are two:

• Hear the full-volume audio report from all targets, ferrous and non-ferrous.
• Use a model with Iron Audio Volume control to limit most iron to a softer or lower loudness.

I own and use eight different make/model detectors, and one of them is just an urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting device because it is terrible when trying to take on a dense iron nails challenge. The remaining mods either have Iron Audio Volume control or don't have that control. However, ALL of those other models can hold their own in most very busy sites with a lot of ferrous debris ... some better than others.

I got my start Coin Hunting, as the majority of metal detecting hobbyists do, about five years before your arrival, so I have devoted ample time through these decades fending off iron discards, being just incidental to a site or up to the point of being especially irritation. There are times, when Coin Hunting urban environments, when I only use enough Discrimination to just barely reject Iron Nails.

But most often I listen to them, appreciating the fact that most of those models provide me at least a 2-Tone audio to help classify problem trash.

Simplex+ Nail Board.jpg

I use an assortment of iron nail Test Samples to help evaluate detector and search coil performance, such as with my Nail Board Performance Test as shown above. I will use any detector that can sweep across the four marked routes, both directions, and hit on the 1¢ coin 7 or 8 good hits out of the possible 8. Any less and it doesn't pass my desired performance level.

Yes, the nails and coin are on the same plane, but that's exactly how those nails and an Indian Head Cent were when I came upon them over 26 years ago in a Utah ghost town.

Then we have other demonstrations we have seen on You Tube videos which I sometimes question the results, so I set up a similar test of my own. Maybe a little tougher because I think the nails shown below are a little closer than in that video.

Simplex+ 5¢ between 2 Iron Square Nails.jpg

As shown in the video, the nails and nickel were swept 'crosswise' and not 'lengthwise' and that can make a big difference in detection performance. Well, of my Detector Outfit I have several models that can give a very good audio response on that 5¢ Buffalo Nickel when swept crosswise. What's additionally impressive is that at least two of the models, my get-serious Relic Hunting CoRe and Relic, can give an audible response when swept 'lengthwise' as well using a slow and methodical diret center-axis sweep.

I know, I know ... the Nickel and Nails are on the same plane, but it is a challenging test. So, like in the video the fellow had the targets on a board. So I used a 1X3 board, and then to additionally check out performance, I moved the Nickel from on top of the board, to directly under that circled spot under the board and that meant the nails were then at a higher plane.

Swept 'crosswise' like in the You Tube demonstration, I used three of my detectors that gave a good coin hit when under the board with nails. Those were with my XP ORX w/5X9½ DD HF coil, and other ORX w/round 9" X35 DD coil. The third model? The Nokta / Makro Simplex+ w/11" DD coil because that's all that is available for it right now.

Oh, and let me add this. The ORX's had the Discrimination set at '7' and I could turn the Iron Volume 'Off' and still hear a good response from the coin. And the Simplex+? It hit on the coin with '0' Discrimination to hear ALL metal targets, then at 1-Bar Disc. to just reject the Iron nails, and then even with 3-Bars rejected at the Ferrous / Non-Ferrous break point.

So it all boils down to how much you can tolerate with iron, or how much you just can't stand. Then selecting the detector and coil that can best handle what you're encountering enough to make you happy ... knowing that there can be trade-offs with more rejection and based on the device you're using.

Monte

I do like trying your nail board test, but it only answers part of the question of hunting in iron,and as you say it is on one plane only.
Eg, I have a 15khz detector fitted with an 11" coil that gives a (just about) 8 out of 8 on the nail board test, it's a very decent hunter in iron for high conductors, but it gets stuffed by Multi IQ on the 'nail above coin' tests, especially on lower conductors and coins on edge.
So if a person has a site that has been hammered by single freq machines and it has stopped producing, there quite likely to then pull more finds out by running a Nox or maybe even a Vanquish over the same ground.

Second, let's address the 'pain' you might have from dealing with iron. naturally, a lot depends on the types of sites you search and the frequency of iron-debris encounters, as well as the type of ferrous junk it is. Simply iron nails and similar wire-iron, or various pieces of odd-shaped iron. Then, too, we have places with a lot of very challenging ferrous junk such as pry-off bottle caps, round rusty washers or flattened tin and tin shards. The latter group is more of a challenge for modern motion-based Discriminators to reject cleanly and they often produce a higher audio tone or mixed audio response.

Trying to handle the more common or typical iron discards, such as nails, is one that take a little more patience because some makes and models have a very tough time if you are Coin Hunting and trying to reject the nails and similar iron trash that is closely associated with the desirable targets. We can't forget about making the best search coils choice, and some models can do well with a Concentric coil and others possibly better with a Double-D type coil, and that is mainly dependent on the search coil's size and shape and especially the detector's circuitry design.

It would help readers to know the types of sites you generally search, the field of hunting you generally do (Coin & Jewelry Hunting typical urban areas or jumping into heavy mixed trash in some old-use Relic Hunting areas), and really how you want to deal with problem iron trash.

I like to devote the majority of my time to Relic Hunting and most places have a lot of nails and other ferrous and non-ferrous debris to deal with, but I like to know it is there. Iron can be a real problem and mask desired non-ferrous coins and trade tokens, buttons and insignia, and other smaller-size keepers quite easily. With a lower Disc. setting to just accept iron nails, I'll hear the presence of most iron and can then carefully work my coil round it to try and unmask potential good targets.

• Use a model with Iron Audio Volume control to limit most iron to a softer or lower loudness.

I own and use eight different make/model detectors, and one of them is just an urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting device because it is terrible when trying to take on a dense iron nails challenge. The remaining mods either have Iron Audio Volume control or don't have that control. However, ALL of those other models can hold their own in most very busy sites with a lot of ferrous debris ... some better than others.

I got my start Coin Hunting, as the majority of metal detecting hobbyists do, about five years before your arrival, so I have devoted ample time through these decades fending off iron discards, being just incidental to a site or up to the point of being especially irritation. There are times, when Coin Hunting urban environments, when I only use enough Discrimination to just barely reject Iron Nails.

But most often I listen to them, appreciating the fact that most of those models provide me at least a 2-Tone audio to help classify problem trash.

View attachment 457598

I use an assortment of iron nail Test Samples to help evaluate detector and search coil performance, such as with my Nail Board Performance Test as shown above. I will use any detector that can sweep across the four marked routes, both directions, and hit on the 1¢ coin 7 or 8 good hits out of the possible 8. Any less and it doesn't pass my desired performance level.

Yes, the nails and coin are on the same plane, but that's exactly how those nails and an Indian Head Cent were when I came upon them over 26 years ago in a Utah ghost town.

Then we have other demonstrations we have seen on You Tube videos which I sometimes question the results, so I set up a similar test of my own. Maybe a little tougher because I think the nails shown below are a little closer than in that video.

View attachment 457599

As shown in the video, the nails and nickel were swept 'crosswise' and not 'lengthwise' and that can make a big difference in detection performance. Well, of my Detector Outfit I have several models that can give a very good audio response on that 5¢ Buffalo Nickel when swept crosswise. What's additionally impressive is that at least two of the models, my get-serious Relic Hunting CoRe and Relic, can give an audible response when swept 'lengthwise' as well using a slow and methodical diret center-axis sweep.

I know, I know ... the Nickel and Nails are on the same plane, but it is a challenging test. So, like in the video the fellow had the targets on a board. So I used a 1X3 board, and then to additionally check out performance, I moved the Nickel from on top of the board, to directly under that circled spot under the board and that meant the nails were then at a higher plane.

Swept 'crosswise' like in the You Tube demonstration, I used three of my detectors that gave a good coin hit when under the board with nails. Those were with my XP ORX w/5X9½ DD HF coil, and other ORX w/round 9" X35 DD coil. The third model? The Nokta / Makro Simplex+ w/11" DD coil because that's all that is available for it right now.

Oh, and let me add this. The ORX's had the Discrimination set at '7' and I could turn the Iron Volume 'Off' and still hear a good response from the coin. And the Simplex+? It hit on the coin with '0' Discrimination to hear ALL metal targets, then at 1-Bar Disc. to just reject the Iron nails, and then even with 3-Bars rejected at the Ferrous / Non-Ferrous break point.

So it all boils down to how much you can tolerate with iron, or how much you just can't stand. Then selecting the detector and coil that can best handle what you're encountering enough to make you happy ... knowing that there can be trade-offs with more rejection and based on the device you're using.

Monte

Iron

DbblTap: so I am looking for any and all recommend MD that will help cut down iron digging. Equinox or Tesoro Cibola. The Cibola will pick out a coin in a bed of nails.

DbblTap:

NOW things have changed for me. I got rear ended yesterday and have to see a Surgeon on Monday to ease pain outside of meds and now will be looking at other MD ..... so I am looking for any and all recommend MD that will help cut down iron digging.

First, I'm sorry to hear about the rear-ending and wish you well mending from the discomfort.

View attachment 457598

View attachment 457599

Monte
By any chance did you do a YouTube video on this??

Sorry to hear about the accident. XP Deus gets my vote. Easy to use and easy on the back. Good luck!
Thank you ! That and a few others are in the line up thanks to a company playing games who sell MD.

DbblTap:

I don't have a camera thus I don't do videos, but I wouldn't state the results I get if it didn't happen, and I demonstrate detector performance, with a number of makes and models, to detecting friends or anyone interested. If they would like to try their detectors and coils and favorite settings, I encourage them to give these Test Scenarios a try.

I have no idea where you reside, but if it was close to where I am in Vale, in far Eastern Oregon, I'd invite you to stop by. Or meet up with me when I make a trip to the Ogden, Utah area in about a week.

Or ,if you happen to enjoy some serious Relic Hunting and taking on contaminated places, I invite you, or anyone interested, to join a bunch of good folks on this years 12th Welcome-to-Hunt Outing June 3rd thru 6th/7th. It will be based in Wells, Nevada and, as of yesterday, we have 19 folks who plan to participate, and I am sure that number is likely to grow by a few. I always have test samples for folks to give a try.

I'm at the end of my 55th year of detecting and I have long been very cautious of the detector outfits I purchase from, and I never commit $$$ on an advanced 'pre-order' either.

Thanks to my age, health limitations and such, I have trimmed my detector outfit to mainly include models that are lighter-weight, well balanced, comfortable to use, yet be performance based. You've had some suggestions so, if you don't mind, I'll add a couple that have been mentioned.

One is the Nokta / Makro Simplex+ which I really enjoy hunting with. It only has the 11" round DD standard coil available now, but for many applications it is working quit well for me, and I'm hoping they have a couple of smaller accessory coils out soon to be better prepared by spring weather detecting season.

Some have suggested the XP Deus for being a very light and balanced detector with a lot of performance. I know it's a good unit, but my personal pick from XP is their more affordable ORX. I keep one at-the-ready w/5X9½ DD HF coil, and the other I bought in September sports the 9" round X35 DD coil. Both have their place and are definitely a high-performance detector, and I grab the one with the coil I prefer for a particular application.

So the Simplex+ and ORX are two suggestions to shop for, and if budget minded, you might also take a look at the Nokta / Makro Racer 2.

Monte

DbblTap:

I don't have a camera thus I don't do videos, but I wouldn't state the results I get if it didn't happen, and I demonstrate detector performance, with a number of makes and models, to detecting friends or anyone interested. If they would like to try their detectors and coils and favorite settings, I encourage them to give these Test Scenarios a try.

I have no idea where you reside, but if it was close to where I am in Vale, in far Eastern Oregon, I'd invite you to stop by. Or meet up with me when I make a trip to the Ogden, Utah area in about a week.

Or ,if you happen to enjoy some serious Relic Hunting and taking on contaminated places, I invite you, or anyone interested, to join a bunch of good folks on this years 12th Welcome-to-Hunt Outing June 3rd thru 6th/7th. It will be based in Wells, Nevada and, as of yesterday, we have 19 folks who plan to participate, and I am sure that number is likely to grow by a few. I always have test samples for folks to give a try.

I'm at the end of my 55th year of detecting and I have long been very cautious of the detector outfits I purchase from, and I never commit $$$ on an advanced 'pre-order' either.

Thanks to my age, health limitations and such, I have trimmed my detector outfit to mainly include models that are lighter-weight, well balanced, comfortable to use, yet be performance based. You've had some suggestions so, if you don't mind, I'll add a couple that have been mentioned.

One is the Nokta / Makro Simplex+ which I really enjoy hunting with. It only has the 11" round DD standard coil available now, but for many applications it is working quit well for me, and I'm hoping they have a couple of smaller accessory coils out soon to be better prepared by spring weather detecting season.

Some have suggested the XP Deus for being a very light and balanced detector with a lot of performance. I know it's a good unit, but my personal pick from XP is their more affordable ORX. I keep one at-the-ready w/5X9½ DD HF coil, and the other I bought in September sports the 9" round X35 DD coil. Both have their place and are definitely a high-performance detector, and I grab the one with the coil I prefer for a particular application.

So the Simplex+ and ORX are two suggestions to shop for, and if budget minded, you might also take a look at the Nokta / Makro Racer 2.

Monte

Very informative. As far as looking at another detector I read alot about multi freq and it sounds great. But I wonder? What did we all do before machines with MF, IQ became affordable to alot of us on fixed incomes? I say this because it seems folks are having good results with the Simplex+. A single frequency. Thanks.

Very informative. As far as looking at another detector I read alot about multi freq and it sounds great. But I wonder? What did we all do before machines with MF, IQ became affordable to alot of us on fixed incomes? I say this because it seems folks are having good results with the Simplex+. A single frequency. Thanks.

People have been making tons of great finds since metal detecting became a hobby using detectors with single frequencies. It's not just the Simplex.

Ok, can anybody guess what I just purchased and from where ?

Back
Top Bottom