Okay Beach Hunters, Please Help with New Detector

davemd

Couldn't think of a more appropriate bunch to ask then the ones that water hunt all the time. I am kicking around the idea of getting a water detector. Use wise, I would say that probably 75 to 80 percent of my use will be in freshwater with the balance on saltwater beaches. So, was thinking more along the lines of a discriminating unit instead of a pulse. Good so far??

Anyway, I have heard good things reading around about the BeachHunter ID 300, but have been attracted by the pricing on the Detector Pro Wader. Although a little more, how does the Minelab Excalibur stack up in this group? Any others I am missing??

So, help me out here, what should I be thinking considering my usage plan?? Is the Wader as good as the BeachHunter? Does the Excal beat the pants off the BeachHunter??

Thanks much!!
Dave

A PI would drive you crazy in a fresh water beach as the iron won't decompose as fast as it would in salt water.

The Beach Hunter ID is a fine choice as long as the area is not highly mineralized.

The Excal is another fine detector, though very expensive.

The Wader is another fine choice.... it is what I use. :roll:

Thanks, Rudy.

Also, I gues it would help if I did mention mineralization. Not really sure how my saltwater beaches are, but I will be hunting the mid-atlantic region if that helps.

Thanks, Rudy.

Also, I gues it would help if I did mention mineralization. Not really sure how my saltwater beaches are, but I will be hunting the mid-atlantic region if that helps.

The East Coast beaches are usually of low mineralization content so the BHID should do fine there.

I agree with Rudy...

I owned the Detector Pro Diver, the Beachhunter and the Excal and if I was to go with one of them I would go with the Excalibur... just my opinion though... another detector that is very good in the freshwater is the Tereso Tiger Shark...

Excalibur is excellent, BUT dont overlook the beach hunter 300, this machine is very easy to use and has a very respectable depth.

I've used the Fisher 1280-X for several years in freshwater and it does an excellant job. It doue OK in salt water as long as the coil is submerged, but is a bit erratic on the wet sand at the edge of the surf. I also used the TigerShark for a while, but I didn't care much for it although it is susposed to be killer on gold chains. I have never used the Excalibur, but I've heard nothing but good remarks about them on this and other forums. I've also not used the beach Hunter ID 300, The only negitive report on them that I have read was that they are a little heavy.

I know your going to be hunting in freshwater, but if you decide to hunt saltwater, this is what I use and why. I use the Garret Sea Hunter Mark II. There are a couple of reasons I went with the Sea Hunter. One is that I like the openess of the coil which makes it easier to see target location and that it requires no coil protection plate for bottom of coil because it comes coated in Rhino liner material. Also, you can change coils and replace the headphones if wire should ever goes bad without sending the whole unit in. But what sealed the deal for me was the battery compartment is separate from the electronics compartment. That way if water should ever get past the O ring....it does not ruin the unit. Just rinse out and dry the battery compartment real good. There is also another safety feature on the unit. The hard hat divers mask of the top of unit is clear in order to view inside the electronic compartment. If you should ever see moisture in that window...unit needs to be sent in. Anyways, just do some more research like your doing and see what other members say about their detectors before you make your choice.

They are all good, the best way is to try and hook up with some folks in your area that have these machines and give them a try.

Every machine has some good points and some bad, it really boils down to what you like. I loved the ex cal.ll . However I didn't like the fact that there was no battery indicator light or anyway to tell if it was charged. Didn't like that it tool 17 hours to charge and used a battery pod . On the other hand the beachhunter uses 8 AA batteries get 30-40 hours on them has a battery indicator light, however is more bulky in the water and I feel heavier to swing than the ex cal. with that big 12" coil.

It is what you end up liking any of the top of the line brands will work doesn't matter what your using if your coil doesn't pass over it....

And I have to agree that for a PI machine the Seahunter is one of the most underrated and talked about units. It is definitely a sweet machine and I see why the Mel Fisher crew used them....

Keep in mind that the machine you choose will only be as good as you are. All 3 of your choices are good machines with the Excal being the best as far as discriminating out the iron in salt water. We have had all 3 machines and have done very well with them but we like the Excal because of the size of the coil and the headphones that we have put on them. The Wader you cannot upgrade the coil but the headphones are excellent. Whites makes a very good machine but you cannot upgrade the coil to a large one. The larger the coil......the more surface area you can cover. Now if you are not really sure that you want to get into the water scene then get a DetectorPro Pirate......it is inexpensive for a water machine and does a great job on finding stuff, then go from there to decide what you really want.

I`ll add one factor to the mix. after using several water machines in the ocean I found many coils especially large ones became hard to swing especially with the surf coming in and out.
The smaller open coils with less surface area worked best. matter of fact the simple 8" "hoop" coil was easiest.
You want to hip , or better yet chest mount your control box.
with the hydrodynamics of the ocean or even in a lake you want as little surface area on your equipment as possible.
good luck.

Back
Top Bottom