AT Pro with ATP Gold 5x8 DD coil Review

TheCoilist

Elite Member
So, I got my coil in a few days ago and was just now able to get it installed.... SORT OF. :ehh:

SIZE:
To start, the coil is quite a bit smaller than I expected. I did the measurements 5x8 on paper to see the actual size before I ordered it. When it arrived I had to check my measurements. It looks a LOT smaller than what I expected. But it was probably because I was justed to the sight of the big OEM ATPro coil. Pictures coming shortly of the comparison.

The ACE 250 coil is actually larger by an inch on each side than the 5X8 DD coil. The 5X8 coil could probably take the place of the Sniper coil if you use it correctly, it's just not round like the sniper coil is. However, having corners on this DD coil, might make it easier for you to get into tight structures easier.

WEIGHT:
The OEM AT Pro coil weighs approx. 1lb 2oz (rounded up)
The 5x8 AT Pro Gold coil weighs approx. 12 oz

INSTALL:
This may be strictly the situation for my particular coil, but I did have some issues. The cable length wasn't an issue, however it will still need to be strapped down with zip ties or velcro cable ties. The problem I ran into was the connection. Unfortunately the AT Pro is NOT known for it's ease of coil installation. The OEM cable unscrewed and removed just fine, and even installs just fine. The new coil (5x8 DD) was a much tigher fit for whatever reason. It took about 15 attempts to get the coil pins lined up and pushed in only to find that the threads were not quite as easy to line up as the OEM coil. Eventually got the threads started... and the problems really began. After making a turn or two the coil would no longer thread. The OEM coil would thread to the very end. The new coil would stop after only a few threads. This has me concerned about water leakage between the threads, but because I don't use it for a water machine I am not too worried. I could however force it on there with a pair of pliers, but after a couple of turns with the pliers it did not get any easier so it was aborted as is.

OPERATION:
So far I have only done air tests and things seem to be in working order. Obviously it's a much smaller coil so the pick up area is much smaller. We will see hopefully tomorrow how it works in the real world. I will keep you posted.

Pics to come of install issues and size comparisons.

Hope your feild test come back with good positive outcomes. I am thinking of getting a smaller coil in the future.

I am trying to negotiate which to do. Metal detect or go fishing tomorrow. Both are at the same location, but it would be our 5yr girls first time fishing. Might be hard to sneak away to detect the river banks. Hmm... What to do. Lol

I am going to try and do both.

I've talked to several who says after using the 5x8 they will use it as their standard coil on the AT Pro. I will be getting one in the near future.

I bought it with the intention of it being my standard coil. The big whopper of an OEM coil is great for fields and such but the petite coil is going to be great for parks and house yards. It's less intimidating for people when asking for permission.

Pictures of the coils and issues mentioned above.

OEM AT Pro DD coil
picture.php

AT PRO GOLD 5x8 DD coil
picture.php

SIDE BY SIDE
picture.php

picture.php

The thread issue I encountered with my NEW 5x8 DD coil... this is the max it would thread while the OEM coil threads entirely to the control module.
picture.php

If it's not threading all the way on there is a chance the o-ring is bulging out of the seat and preventing it. There should be a light coating of silicone grease applied and then you have to check the o-ring once the connector is pushed all the way in. It can bulge out of the seat easily, it takes some practice and it gets easier. The unit will still function though, I learned that early on before I learned to check the o-ring seating all the way around.

With three coils I swap a lot and it gets easier with practice.

If the o-ring isn't seated right and it's submerged you will not flood the control box. It's just keeping water out of the connecter contacts. The fitting in the control box is waterproof, that's straight from Garrett. I called and asked!

If it's not threading all the way on there is a chance the o-ring is bulging out of the seat and preventing it. There should be a light coating of silicone grease applied and then you have to check the o-ring once the connector is pushed all the way in. It can bulge out of the seat easily, it takes some practice and it gets easier. The unit will still function though, I learned that early on before I learned to check the o-ring seating all the way around.

With three coils I swap a lot and it gets easier with practice.

If the o-ring isn't seated right and it's submerged you will not flood the control box. It's just keeping water out of the connecter contacts. The fitting in the control box is waterproof, that's straight from Garrett. I called and asked!

I checked and swapped the o-ring before threading it in half way. The OEM coil threads on just fine. The O-ring was not binding. Also, the o-ring is completely pushed in and isn't allowed to bind near the threads. I removed the O-ring all together and the same problem, the threads aren't threading. I tested it and there wasn't an issue with it being threaded half way, but it's just a problem I ran into. It very well could be a bad thread on the coil itself.

Okee Dokee...

Spent a couple weeks with the new coil.

Once the 5x8 coil was fully threaded on and removed it got a little easier to install. I think there were just some thread problems on the coil side. The OEM coil still fits fine as well.

So......

Without any real pictures or videos to post, here goes nothing.

THIS COIL ROCKS!

I think I found more targets with this coil than I did with the large OEM coil. I say that because knowing it was a smaller coil made me focus on the ground, move a bit slower (not much) but the target id was greater with the smaller coil. ESPECIALLY in those trashy areas. I was pulling coins I never would have dug with the larger coil. Simply because the target id was spot on in most cases, even with large iron above/below the target objects.

The coil is much lighter and easy to swing longer periods of time. The smaller coil is definitely my yard, house, small area coil. For fields and such I would probably still go with the OEM coil only because it is twice the size and can cover more distance. But definitely this smaller coil made a world of difference. It was a good investment in my opinion.

I agree 100%. The 5 x 8 coil is just fun to use. I think it might be on my AT Pro for a very long time. With this coil on my detector I hunt for the trashy areas.

I'm a bit confused.. I have a 6.5 x 9 coil for my AT Pro and is it the same as the one being discussed here?

Attachments

• coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 3,258
No the 5x8 DD coil is the smaller coil on the left of the images posted a few back. You have the Proformance coil which is concentric.

I've had the 5x8 for a while now and finally was able to make it out to test it. I am going to recheck my own yard this weekend with it. I am hoping t ofind some goodies! The OEM coil was just bouncing off the wall in my yard because of the trash.

BTW, pinpointing with it is a LOT easier. Size does matter, but it seems much more accurate in general.

How does depth compare to the stock AT Pro coil? I am going to be ordering an AT Pro and may get this coil at the same time.

Well, it's strange that you ask that because I was quite surprised actually!

By rule of thumb, a good measure is depth is approximately the same as the diameter of the coil. The larger the coil, the deeper it goes, however it makes it harder to focus on smaller objects.

The OEM coil has no problem going deep. But I never pulled coins from it's max depths. This smaller DD coil goes to about maybe 10 inches for large items, and I have pulled coins (and .22 bullet casings) from about 8 inches deep. A smaller coil while not as deep seeking finds those smaller items easier than a larger coil.

Realistically, it is a great coil for coin hunting. If you're after relics that are larger in size (pocket watches or larger) you need not bother with the 5x8. I will be going out this afternoon in my trashy yard and I will try and get video or pics of it in action if I have no 5 yr old daughter interruptions. LOL

EDIT: Note, soil conditions and variables may make depths change. I had very good soil in some instances where I found small coins. But also at 8" we have a sublayer of clay here, so most finds sit on that 8" layer.

Thanks for the review of the 5x8. Bart and I were discussing it today on the phone and he told me it's an awesome coil that really helps get the most out of the AT Pro.

An AT Pro with 5x8 DD coil, a propointer, a nice lesche, in my mind is a win win win!

Joe

I do believe that the 5x8 is my new main coil. The OEM coil is good for bigger fields, or if you know you have a few days at a location. My process is to use the bigger coil on my first run to find the relics and larger things (not to mention coins too) and then clean up with the 5x8 DD coil the next time around. I have done my own yard this way and I think I can safely say that there are no more goodies in my yard! :(

I do believe that the 5x8 is my new main coil. The OEM coil is good for bigger fields, or if you know you have a few days at a location. My process is to use the bigger coil on my first run to find the relics and larger things (not to mention coins too) and then clean up with the 5x8 DD coil the next time around. I have done my own yard this way and I think I can safely say that there are no more goodies in my yard! :(

You think your yard is cleaned out... wait till you get your E-Trac.... :) HH

Back
Top Bottom