• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Making the Coil less Buoyant

Compass

Forum Supporter
Sorry if this has been discussed in detail already but what is the best way to neutralize the buoyancy of a coil for hunting in the water? I have a Surf PI Pro without the neutral buoyancy coil. Thanks!

I didn't have a weighted coil with my PI PRO but it was very easy keeping the coil down with minimum pressure... I held the detector at the S in the shaft... I do the same with my DF...

I went to a straight shaft on my BHID 300. It gives me more leverage to hold the coil down.

But. Before that...

I sewed up a piece of cordura nylon into a 6 inch long by 2 inch tube and filled it with lead at first and tied it to the shaft using zip ties. After that I used sand. This was before the straight shaft. Once I went to the straight shaft, I discontinued the use of the tube of weight.

BTW. The lead did not interfere with the coil as it was stationary on the shaft. I attached it to the shaft about 6 inches above the coil. I changed to sand for the hell of it.

I also tried to make sure that the "bag" was not so big that it caused too much resistance when sweeping side to side.

You can also fill your shaft with sand or another material that is big enough to add weight as well as not filter through the holes in the shaft.

Or you can send it in and get a new coil.

Good luck.

Coolwhips :cool:

I read somewhere where a guy fills his shaft with sand and at least for him holds it down... just make sure you don't use black sand lol...

Tape a small water or juice bottle with screw cap to the coil where convenient. Fill up with enough water to achieve negative buoyancy.
Randy, I'm no scientist but does that actually work well? If you fill the bottle with water and you're in the water, wouldn't the extra weight be equal only to the bottle itself? Thanks.

The straight shaft is one of the best or you can use one of the angle weights with the Velcro I think they are filled with sand?

We fill the bottom of our shaft with epoxy but thats because some of them are flimsy (Garrett) and it really make them strong and no more wobble....

4_water_detectors.jpg

mineshafts.jpg

I was told to fill an old sock with sand , and adjust as necessary, and put it on top of the coil fastened with zip ties ot just tie the sock, to weight it enough to hold it down.

Aren't you just looking for a tad of negative bouyancy? Add a little sand (if needed) to the bottle to increase negative bouyancy. Too much weight and I could imagine the wrist burning after a while of having to keep constant up-pressure on the coil. In the end I suppose it all depends on the coil's "floatability".

Back
Top Bottom