Simplex users please advise MODIFICATION

JR@TriStateAdv

So I'm wondering if anyone has done this or thought of doing this as well. The machine collapses down a fair amount but not enough for a backpack. I like to hike and have seen some promising areas miles in the woods. Now from what I can tell the only reason it wont collapse further is the "cap" at the end of the top shaft. So my question is can this be removed without compromising the already a bit wobbly detector?

Attachments

• 20200709_204829.jpg
    20200709_204829.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 694
Last edited:
Never tried it. Why don't you just collapse the lower shaft until the coil meets the top. Then use some type of harness so you can carry it along with your back pack?

I collapse it all the way and tie to my backpack. Stats there fine even in crazy dirt bike and quad rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I collapse it all the way and tie to my backpack. Stats there fine even in crazy dirt bike and quad rides.

Ok yeah that's the plan take the dirt scooters out lol I'd just like to have it fully away as to not catch on anything thick stuff riding or walking.

Ok yeah that's the plan take the dirt scooters out lol I'd just like to have it fully away as to not catch on anything thick stuff riding or walking.

So far I have not snagged it and I have been riding high in the Rockies. * knocking on wood now*

So I'm wondering if anyone has done this or thought of doing this as well. The machine collapses down a fair amount but not enough for a backpack. I like to hike and have seen some promising areas miles in the woods. Now from what I can tell the only reason it wont collapse further is the "cap" at the end of the top shaft. So my question is can this be removed without compromising the already a bit wobbly detector?

I’m not trying to be funny, but if I’m understanding this, you want to remove the cap so that the shaft slides out the other end. This seems to me that it will quite literally give you the identical length, just some of it sticking out of the handle end instead of the coil end. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No not missing anything but what would be sticking out of the shaft end would be a much easier to manage small diameter shaft when zipping and securing in a backpack. The bulk of the machine would be more consolidated allowing the coil to come much closer to the head unit. This is what I envision anyway as I still have not done it 🤔 but I have just ordered the equinox 800 so I will feel more comfortable tinkering with the Simplex

It is not a cap, even tho it looks like it is. You can trim it off and the middle shaft will then slide past the arm cuff.

If you're putting it in a short bag to protect it and want it 'short,' why not just collapse the middle rod as short as it goes. Then remover the lower rod and coil and put those two separate sections in the bag with the coil folded back for the shortest length? Seems like that would make it the shortest size w/o separating the middle rod from the upper rod.

Monte

If you're putting it in a short bag to protect it and want it 'short,' why not just collapse the middle rod as short as it goes. Then remover the lower rod and coil and put those two separate sections in the bag with the coil folded back for the shortest length? Seems like that would make it the shortest size w/o separating the middle rod from the upper rod.

Monte

That's how I did it with the Simplex, ORX, Deus, Equinox (Detect Ed shaft), Vanquish, Tek G2+ and Gold Kruzer. I found a 28" backpack and they all fit very well with a little sticking out the top sometimes but not enough to snag on anything since they were bumping the back of my neck, unless I snagged my head on something which for me is quite possible.

Back
Top Bottom