It is the operator not the metal detector that finds good targets

I would say its the machine for most with the latest technology machines. Why? Because they have the latest and the greatest.. If some guy is rearing it up with a 15 or 20 year old machine then I'd say it's the operator. But location definatly plays a huge role..old saying goes .. Inexperienced detectorist find new machines, experienced detectorist find new places to go..

Here's one for you. I bought a XLT in 1998. Long story short as motivated as I was at first I did not find much so the detector got put in the closet most of the time for almost 20 years. I got the bug again in 2017 and remembered a site I had found in the woods. In about 4 hunts besides relics I found a 1867 2 Cent and a 1851 Seated dime with the XLT.

So the site makes all the difference. Remember a almost 20 year old Whites XLT found those two coins. Crazy thing is I have had a Nox, Impact, Etrac, and even a friend with his Deus hunting this site since. I found one Eagle button with Nox. My buddy found two flat buttons with Deus. Not another coin has been found! I just knew if the XLT found two really nice coins other newer high dollar detectors should find more. They didn't. I guess the only two detectable coins have been found.

I think a lot of folks are missing maxxkatt's point. Sure a deeper, faster machine with more accurate target IDs is better. Obviously. But it all depends on the operator understanding what the machine is saying, both the target ID and audio. I'm an information junkie have read everything I could get my hands on about metal detecting. Watched tons of videos and have a good understanding of metal detecting and my machine. Still I feel like I have a long way to go in interpreting the audio of the target and only experience will resolve this.

All things being equal the better machine should get better finds. But all things are never equal and the skill of the operator plays a major role.

My 2 cents...

Most of the time I would say 1. location, 2. operator, 3. detector.

So, taking Maxxkatt's example, an Ace 250 run by an experienced user and an Equinox 800 run by a novice to intermediate user with similar sized coils, in good dirt on well spaced surface to 6" coin and jewelry or relic targets, I would call that a toss-up or slight advantage to the Ace 250.

On deeper targets, if the Nox is setup correctly, the Nox will win that if the less experienced user has a clue about what deeper targets sound like. A more experienced user of the Nox would easily find 8"+ targets if there are any and depending on if they are non-ferrous without too much iron contamination the Equinox will correctly identify those 8" to 11" coin sized or bigger targets.

Add in lots of aluminum trash with multiple surface to 6" non-ferrous targets always under the coil, the Nox with its much better target separation and recovery speed will win that contest if the users have fairly equal skill levels.

Change the scenario to moderate to really high mineralization or iron infestation on ground with good targets down to 8"+ and the Ace 250 will lose big time against the Nox 800 along with most other single frequency detectors with users of the same skill level.

At a saltwater beach and surf..........the multi freq. Nox is hard to beat without going to a CTX, Excal, Sovereign or PI detector.

Simultaneous Multi Frequency detectors like the Equinox, Vanquish, Etrac, CTX 3030, and to a lesser degree the Whites V3i and the DFX really do offer an advantage over single frequency VLF detectors for target ID accuracy on deeper targets and for detecting targets accurately in more difficult soil/salt conditions.

So, in moderate to extreme soil, salt conditions or extreme aluminum or iron trash: 1. detector, 2. location/operator

Jeff

Yes I know a CTX3030 will find some stuff others won't find and that can be said about many good detectors.

The point I was trying to make, just because you have an older well established detector like the Ace series as an example don't think they won't find good targets. Will an Ace 250 in the hands of an experienced detectorists keep up with an Equinox 800 in the hands of an experienced detectorists? no, and we all know that.

It like a friend of mine told me when I was buying my first 30 foot sail boat. He said, "you know you can have fun sailing regardless of the size of the boat". He was right because jumping into a 14 foot day sailer is easier and quicker than making a 30 foot sailboat ready for sailing.

There are days when I just don't want to fool with the 800 and just use my Vanquish 540 on some volley ball courts where the 800 is an overkill. Actually on a volley ball court a bounty hunter Jr. is ok. My 6 year old grandson has proved that a few times.

Yes I know a CTX3030 will find some stuff others won't find and that can be said about many good detectors.

The point I was trying to make, just because you have an older well established detector like the Ace series as an example don't think they won't find good targets. Will an Ace 250 in the hands of an experienced detectorists keep up with an Equinox 800 in the hands of an experienced detectorists? no, and we all know that.

It like a friend of mine told me when I was buying my first 30 foot sail boat. He said, "you know you can have fun sailing regardless of the size of the boat". He was right because jumping into a 14 foot day sailer is easier and quicker than making a 30 foot sailboat ready for sailing.

There are days when I just don't want to fool with the 800 and just use my Vanquish 540 on some volley ball courts where the 800 is an overkill. Actually on a volley ball court a bounty hunter Jr. is ok. My 6 year old grandson has proved that a few times.

Of course! What, a new detector like the Equinox or Apex comes out and all of a sudden, targets spontaneously make themselves harder to find?

Then you say, all else being equal (including the person operating it), a more advanced detector will out detect a less advanced one. Again, of course that's true.

So what's your real point, then?

Some folk have excellent producing sites, where you'll get great finds with any basic machine.
But when a sites finds get depleted, the better detectors have a higher chance of making a find, that's if you can get the best from the machine.

this is true! locations are paramount, however being equipped with the
most recent technology increases the "chance" you will make a nice find or two
in "beat" areas. IF you are a committed detectorist,then knowing this makes all the difference, and is worth the expenditure.

Here's one for you. I bought a XLT in 1998. Long story short as motivated as I was at first I did not find much so the detector got put in the closet most of the time for almost 20 years. I got the bug again in 2017 and remembered a site I had found in the woods. In about 4 hunts besides relics I found a 1867 2 Cent and a 1851 Seated dime with the XLT.

So the site makes all the difference. Remember a almost 20 year old Whites XLT found those two coins. Crazy thing is I have had a Nox, Impact, Etrac, and even a friend with his Deus hunting this site since. I found one Eagle button with Nox. My buddy found two flat buttons with Deus. Not another coin has been found! I just knew if the XLT found two really nice coins other newer high dollar detectors should find more. They didn't. I guess the only two detectable coins have been found.

yes this indeed does happen! "beware the man who owns only one detector,
and knows it well!",for he is a formidable adversary! one can use a tesoro compadre on a private yard, and "clean it out!" $161.00 of value! location,location,location!..i'm just sayin'

Dang, anyone reading this is no longer ignorant and no longer happy unless they have a minelab! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Next you're going to tell them about santa and the tooth fairy.

All detectors have pros and cons as we all know.
Lol I wasn't knocking the at pro it was a top notch machine for many years. Technology advances though and simultaneous multi frequency is more effective overall than single frequency. The new Garrett machines using multi frequency will likely outperform the old at pro as well. It is just how technology goes. Also not saying you won't still find great stuff with any old machine but the latest tech should give you an edge.

Also I want to point out that I have an Apex on pre order and I am excited to try it out. If Garrett releases a waterproof version at some point it may just replace my equinox. I am not blindly following only one brand. I use what works best for me whichever brand that may be. I owned a nokta anfibio multi as well but did not mesh well with that machine.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom