question about facebook posting of dining out pictures

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Ok, I get it about posting our finds pictures on a metal detecting web site. It is about showing others that good finds are possible and of showing the rewards of this hobby.

But on facebook I have several relatives and friends who are constantly posting pictures of themselves dining in posh restaurants and what they are eating or drinking. I mean constantly 2-3 times a week.

Ok, with us (detectorists) it takes lots of hours often in the cold, damp, muddy and stinking hot weather to bring those finds to the surface.

But pictures of where you are eating in posh restaurants? That does not seem to require much talent. I posted a picture of a McDonald's happy meal on a tray at McDonald's on facebook and my dining picture friends and relatives didn't get the humor in it.

So why do they post these inane photos of food. I mean it don't take being a rocket scientist to have a meal at a posh restaurant?

Am I being over critical on this subject?

I don't get it either but then again I don't do social media. I guess people just want to share what they're doing with their FB "friends" so they can feel connected? I'm on forums like these for information, anything that can save me time and money or help with my hobbies.

It all depends on what you think Facebook is for. Me personally, I post pictures of my grandsons and other family photos, vacation photos, meals that I really enjoy. Not "posh" meals, just really enjoyable meals. I post metal detecting stuff only on Facebook metal detecting groups because no matter the effort required it is just not something my Facebook friends will enjoy. I hide or unfriend people that use Facebook for religion, politics or social causes.

I don't think there is a right or wrong, just what you want Facebook to be.

Hey, maybe they might get the humor if you post a picture of a homemade sandwich next to a brown paper lunch bag and say "brown bagging it today, here's my lunch" :laughing:

Yeah, Facebook is just terrible now. Everyone posting stuff to either show off (moooost times faking it, trust me) or to tell others what to do. Gee, how fun!

I don't do Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or whatever else there is out there.
I suppose someone showing themselves eating in a fancy restaurant is bragging but not a whole lot different than one of us showing a beautiful silver coin we found. Nor any different from a fisherman showing what he caught. Some people feel the need to show off for whatever reason.

KT had a facebook page under His real name, and I used to get all kinds of political garbage from my "friends"...after 3 years, a hacker got my id and changed my P-word, so then I could not get in, and after trying many times, face book considered ME a hacker and banned me! Best thing that could have happened...KT lived 67 years without it, had 3 years with it, now a Year without it, not concerned about it anymore. KT has all His close friends telephone #s and has all His Royal MD and CRH friends in here....what more could His Majesty ask for??

Social media? Too many people live for it as they think they are some sort of center big attention and the little people follow them and actually care what fake life they are living. Most people Brag,brag and brag some more and I have scene mom's "Pimping" out their daughters to the lawyer or doctor out there.

Sadly what started as a ok thing went south fast.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I took a picture of a meal I bought at Disneyland... my wife asked me what I was doing and I said if I'm going to pay that much for a meal... I at least want something to remember it by.😂

Last edited:
My wife and I go out and I am always amazed how a couple can be having dinner, with both of them staring at their phones the whole time. For the life of me I don't know what they are looking at! My wife says they are probably checking their social media sites. A lot of times, I forget my phone at home, and I don't miss it. I got home from detecting once, and my wife said "give me your phone". I gave it to her and she looked at it, and told me it was dead. She had been trying to get a hold of me, and apparently it had died. The sad part is, it was probably dead for a day or two, and I didn't notice! :laughing:

The bourgeoisie validation seeking mentality of many on social media can't be entirely healthy. As others have said, people are often not enjoying themselves because they're too wrapped up in taking impressive pictures to impress their friends (real or imagined).

Back
Top Bottom