Do or do not...there is no try

INdirtdetective

Got up this A.M. to the sun shining and the birds chirping....while having a fine cup of joe I was thinking that the day would be best spent out in a field...the missus suggested that the lawn could not wait another day...now I like mowing the lawn about as much as I like getting the glove during my annual physical so I argued that long grass was better for the environment which I thought sounded entirely plausible...she was unimpressed so out to the garage I went.
Once finished with that lovely task she suggested we go hunting (yep I certainly married a keeper :cool:)
So we jumped in the truck and headed out to the field where we found our large cent...
We put ye olde garrett ace 400 in relic mode and started sweeping. We decided to dig every signal that sang out.
One of my few intelligent ideas was carrying a bucket so as to not weigh down my pouch with heavy iron. It was not long before I had to take the bucket to the truck to empty it. But amongst the junk we did manage some good finds.
1863 IH very toasted
Wheat cent toasted and paper thin
Old chinese coin
An ornate top to something
A buckle
And a rich vein of can slaw previously undiscovered (putting that towards my retirement)
And one severely sunburnt neck and backside of a bald head.

Attachments

• 20170409_171342.jpg
    20170409_171342.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 385
  • 20170409_171240.jpg
    20170409_171240.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 401
  • 20170409_171248.jpg
    20170409_171248.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 386
  • 20170409_171312.jpg
    20170409_171312.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 378
  • 20170409_171324.jpg
    20170409_171324.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 404
  • 20170409_171335.jpg
    20170409_171335.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 381
If you are thinking that first picture is a buckle I believe you are mistaken.

That really looks like a chain link to some very old farm equipment. I have worked with lots of equipment with those kind of links.

Nice hunt

That really looks like a chain link to some very old farm equipment. I have worked with lots of equipment with those kind of links.

Nice hunt[/QUOTE

I believe that first picture is a link to some chain that is driven by a sproket. If the tube part is large enough for the other end to pass through, than it probably is a link.
HH everyone

Looks like you did some digging there. Was that field muddy. Up here in Adams Co. it is still muddy. Do you keep all that iron and sell it later. I keep all my scrap metal and sell it at the end of the year. Good luck out their . Them old sites might give you a gold coin.. KEN :D

Looks like you did some digging there. Was that field muddy. Up here in Adams Co. it is still muddy. Do you keep all that iron and sell it later. I keep all my scrap metal and sell it at the end of the year. Good luck out their . Them old sites might give you a gold coin.. KEN :D

The low spots were pretty muddy but otherwise it was ok. The high winds have helped dry things out.

I set up a few barrels in my garage to start keeping the scrap...see what I come up with at the end of the season.

Nice hunt

Well butter my back and call me a biscuit...I would have never thought chain link...did look a bit big for a buckle but I was thinking maybe horse tack.

Thanks for the info.

Nice hunt

Can you say#*%€ spreader link?

Great hunt though!

Back
Top Bottom