Pendant? Another find in really rough shape...

SueK

Forum Supporter
Please don't spend a lot of time looking at this, but I wondered if you see what I think I see. It's very light weight, so maybe silver plated? I'm guessing the divot at the top is from a loop breaking off. Front is the profile of a man, I think. Perhaps a saint? I get the impression of a halo around the face of the man. The back appears to have a shield with a crown. I see some letters, but the whole thing is so pitted and damaged that I don't get a lot. So I was thinking religious pendant as opposed to coin. Your thoughts? Thanks again!

Attachments

• Religious pendant front.jpg
    Religious pendant front.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 239
  • Religious pendant back.jpg
    Religious pendant back.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 215
It's appearance suggests aluminum.
Could very well be a religious pendant.
Can you make out any letters?

Last edited:
Not sure why but I see Christopher Columbus.

Try side lighting it with a flashlight, works on coins may help make something out.
I usually turn out other lights and shine a flashlight across it from the side and various angles.

It's appearance suggests aluminum.
Could very well be a religious pendant.
Can you make out any letters?

You're probably right...it's very light weight. I see a VS I think near the top of the head, but that's about it. Thanks for looking at it!

Not sure why but I see Christopher Columbus.

Try side lighting it with a flashlight, works on coins may help make something out.
I usually turn out other lights and shine a flashlight across it from the side and various angles.

Gotta say I was thinking it looked like Columbus, too. Must be the hair, huh? I'll try the lights suggestion. Thank you!

Gotta say..I'm curious. Any luck with the lighting or reading any of the words on it SueK ?

I did try your suggestion and it helped....I think I may have figured out what this is. With the light from the side, as you suggested, I thought I saw a shield on the back with a sword pointing upward and a crown at the top of the shield. I searched for coats of arms of that style and found....Joan of Arc. Her hair was like Christopher Columbus' ;) and her shield looks like what I was looking for. I found something similar - shows both the shield from the back and Joan. That would also explain my impression of a halo around the head, and it fitting as a find from a former army base. What do you think?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...&qpvt=joan+of+arc+aluminum+pendant&ajaxhist=0

Thanks for the light suggestion. Even though this is not much of a find value-wise, it's nice to know what it is.

Gotta say I was thinking it looked like Columbus, too. Must be the hair, huh? I'll try the lights suggestion. Thank you!

Nah, that's Chris's brother Bob Columbus. Chris had a classic bowl cut.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom