Are these horse tack hardware?

DoctorWhy

Found these in about 2 feet apart in a field near an mid-1800's cellar hole.

Along with these items ,nearby, I found a silver-plated 'horse tack' buckle and what I think is an 'orthopedic' horse shoe --a typical "U-shaped" horseshoe with a bar forged across the open end... That wrought iron horse shoe needs a bit of electrolysis before I photo and display it.

I suspect that these two brass, 'twisted figure eights' are some kind of horse harness item. Can anyone give me a more specific identification and age range?

Thanks,
--Bert

Attachments

• HorseTack.jpg
    HorseTack.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 581
Gag loop or gag swivel. Goes on horse bridle ,check lines or reins go from bit through gag loop back to wagon. Used with driving setup ,not riding.

Gag loop or gag swivel. Goes on horse bridle ,check lines or reins go from bit through gag loop back to wagon. Used with driving setup ,not riding.
Correct Taz!

Dating horse related hardware is really tough Bert. Nothing has really changed much in a few hundred years. About the only "new" items in the last while have been the availability and variety of premade shoes, as well as the rebranding/repurposing of various industrial adhesives. All other items are only distinguishable by manufacturing processes & techniques, and the periods that some became "fashionable".

If I am not mistaken, I think somebody will chime in about it being a Civil War sword hanger or some such thing:lol::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom