Got my first random permission

Newblue

Sitting in the parking lot at my Dr’s office yesterday I happened to notice a large field across the street, behind a shopping plaza. I decided to look up the property owner and discovered it was recently purchased by an out of town church. Researching, I discovered it is 17 acres (can’t see that much from the road) and the church will soon begin construction for a new building. I decided to send them an email and ask if I could detect. I reasoned that with upcoming construction it would be great to save anything that may be soon lost forever. Well I got my answer this morning. They said yes. He did say one member already detected there and didn’t find much but with 17 acres and all detectorists and machines being different I’m going to try it anyway. You never know. I’m so excited.

Sitting in the parking lot at my Dr’s office yesterday I happened to notice a large field across the street, behind a shopping plaza. I decided to look up the property owner and discovered it was recently purchased by an out of town church. Researching, I discovered it is 17 acres (can’t see that much from the road) and the church will soon begin construction for a new building. I decided to send them an email and ask if I could detect. I reasoned that with upcoming construction it would be great to save anything that may be soon lost forever. Well I got my answer this morning. They said yes. He did say one member already detected there and didn’t find much but with 17 acres and all detectorists and machines being different I’m going to try it anyway. You never know. I’m so excited.

Nice. Any old maps showing what occupied the field in the past?

The thing about other people having detected there before is usually a crock to passive aggressively dissuade you from hunting it. Even church goers lie. Hunt it, have fun, and report back. Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. Any old maps showing what occupied the field in the past?

Only map I could find was from the 1850’s and showed an old school house nearby, not on the actual property but about 150 yards from it. Also looks like it’s always been a field so maybe it was farm land. I’m not great at reading old maps but that’s what I’m hoping for. The old map showed the school house and woods and this open field. At least with a school having been nearby and it was open land I’m hoping people probably walked through it. It’s my first permission from a stranger so I’m happy just to try it. And it’s big enough to keep me busy for a while.

The thing about other people having detected there before is usually a crock to passive aggressively dissuade you from hunting it. Even church goers lie. Hunt it, have fun, and report back. Good luck!!!

Thank you aeds151. I’m not feeling deterred. I’d hunt it even if I actually saw other people detecting in the past. You never know what other people could miss. I will most definitely report back.

Only map I could find was from the 1850’s and showed an old school house nearby, not on the actual property but about 150 yards from it. Also looks like it’s always been a field so maybe it was farm land. I’m not great at reading old maps but that’s what I’m hoping for. The old map showed the school house and woods and this open field. At least with a school having been nearby and it was open land I’m hoping people probably walked through it. It’s my first permission from a stranger so I’m happy just to try it. And it’s big enough to keep me busy for a while.

Put yourself in the place of the children, parents, and teachers heading to that schoolhouse. Figure out what path you would take to get to it walking from nearby homes (look at the old homes in the areas on the map) and take the same path. Remember that often the schoolhouse was also the meeting place for the town/neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom