i need a metal detector

zig500

i am new to detecting i have been looking at whites not sure which on is best for a first timer maybe a m6 or a mxt what do you guys thing i travel all over the us so i need one for coins, jewelry beach and relic a allround good dector can you guys help

i am new to detecting i have been looking at whites not sure which on is best for a first timer maybe a m6 or a mxt what do you guys thing i travel all over the us so i need one for coins, jewelry beach and relic a allround good dector can you guys help

Based on your travels, the MXT is good in many places......

Dusty

you think the mxt is better

Good for gold, coins, relics. Has a proven history of top notch performance. And the warranty and freebies (maybe) will be the kicker. I have one and use it more than all my other detectors.....

Dusty

I would go MXT if you're looking for a brand new detector in the $700 range. if you can spend more you have machines like the F75, Explorer SE, DFX for around 850-950. If you plan on hitting salt beaches often you want to go with a multi Freq machine like an Explorer.

The detectors you mention are all wonderful detectors. They share the same coils and some of the same characteristics. But you did mention beach hunting. Every detector you mentioned will hunt the dry sand. But if you want to hunt the wet sand of a salt beach the DFX will perform better than the rest.

what makes a good wet sand hunter low frequency and do you think the dfx is to hard to use for a beginner

Multi Freq handle the beaches better and no the DFX is simple to use and has preset programs for people just starting out. It will have a list of programs such as coin, jewelry, relic, beach you select the one that most suits your location and start swinging. As you become more knowledgeable of the machine you can tweak them and make your own. I use to use Coin/Jewelry and simply bump up the pre amp gain and AC sens and it would work awesome and go deep.

The DFX is a great machine but has a steep learning curve and the manual isn't as good as it should be in explaining how settings interrelate. You need to buy a book, either Digging Deeper with the DFX or Dancing with the DFX to get a better understanding of it. You'd probably be happier with the MXT.

No they are all priced about the same when it comes to the top brands for comparable machines. My top choice is the Fisher F75 which I just got for Christmas for all around hunting, fast sweep, goes deep, good ID. I also use an Explorer, it goes super deep and had great id BUT im not a slow sweep speed fan, I like to cover a lot of ground. That being said the XLT's and DFX's are the most fun machines that I have used and I do want another.

do you think 650 is good price on a used dfx its at a whites dealer not sure if it has a warranty i am going to look at tomarrow

Back
Top Bottom