How metal detectors work

cherin56

Hello, I'm a new Member here. And I was interested About metal detector.
Now I am trying to find information about metal detectors and I've come across a good article about a metaldetector. I would like to share to everyone on this Board have read about How metal detectors work

The metal detectors work through the principle of electromagnetism. They are built with search coils which emit electromagnetic radiation over a small distance to create a small electromagnetic field around it. If there is a metallic object within the radius of the detector’s electromagnetic field, its own magnetic fields will be energized and it will retransmit an electromagnetic radiation back to the metal detector. This will be detected by the search coil which will then trigger a target response alerting the user that a metallic object has been found. This is the basic principle of how metal detectors work but there are additional functionalities which are incorporated into the metal detector to improve its detection capabilities. These include the ability to discriminate multiple frequencies so as to allow the prospector to concentrate on a particular metallic relic. Modern metal detectors are also built with a “Pinpoint Mode” to help diggers find the exact location of a buried relic.

The Metal Detector Anatomy

The metal detector is made of many parts all of which aid in its detection functions. To understand how metal detectors work, you need to understand the roles played by each of these parts:

The battery: The battery powers the metal detector. Most of the detectors use the 9V alkaline batteries. These must be replaced when they run low for effective metal prospecting.

The search coil: This is at the core of the metal detector’s functions. It is the search coil which will transmit an electromagnetic radiation to the ground and receive a reciprocal electromagnetic response from the metallic treasure in the ground. Search coils use various technologies to accomplish this function such as the very low frequency (VLF), the pulse indicator (PI) technology and the beat-frequency oscillation technology. All the metal detectors use any of these three technologies for detection purposes.

Control box: This is where you will find the metal detector’s electronic consoles which you can use to control the various aspects of operation of the metal detector. The signals are also processed here to generate the target response which you can act upon. You will find the electronic circuitry here as well as the speakers and a microprocessor chip.

Stabilizer: This is usually an optional part but it is important as it keeps the metal detector steady as you sweep it back and during your metal detection work. Some metal detectors also have an LCD display unit.

Read for more details. Click Here

I hope it will be useful for anyone who is interested in starting metal detector.

When I come across a good article, I will share again.

Thank.

Back
Top Bottom