UMC New Club shotshell

FoiledAgain

Elite Member
This headstamp from a Union Metallic 12 gauge shotshell is marked NEW CLUB. Any ideas on age?

-Foiled

Attachments

• IMG_2247.JPG
    IMG_2247.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 13,256
Hi There,

That is a GREAT headstamp to find! The NEW CLUB was actually a sort of ground breaking line of shells. The original shell of this line was the UMC CLUB (UMC's first factory loaded shell) in 1888. With the popularity of nitro or smokless powder, they had to differentiate between the black powder and the smokeless CLUB shells. So in 1891 they quit making the CLUB and introduced the NEW CLUB for smokless and BLACK CLUB for black powder. As already mentioned above, this shell was made until 1911, when the merger of UMC and Remington occured. It was carried over after the merger as a REM-UMC shell.

Yours is one of four varieties that I have found to date. It is the double circle aroud the primer style. From what I have found with my research, the double circle around the primer is probably a very late 19th century to very early 20th century variation. I cannot guarantee the date range as I cannot get an exact date range from the Remington historian as to when the headstamps changed.

Nice find.
Doug

Last edited:
New Club Shotgun shell

This headstamp from a Union Metallic 12 gauge shotshell is marked NEW CLUB. Any ideas on age?

-Foiled

Dear foiled again. Very strange I went out yesterday and found aUnion Metallic 10 gauge shotgun shell myself. It although does not have the double rings around it im figureing it is the early model one. I was very surprised of the year. It is in great shape and after i found out what i had iteven got me more excited. This is all new to me and i gotta tell you, it's great and i hate to see the season come to an end. Congrats on your fnd. I live 50 miles outside Chicago Il.

Dan

I need to update the info on this one. The double ring is undoubtedly the oldest headstamp variety of this line.

Doug

How's about an eight point star (2 squares) for the middle ring on the new club turtlefoot?

How's about an eight point star (2 squares) for the middle ring on the new club turtlefoot?

This thread needs updating again. The date will be 1891-1910. The double ring variety will be the oldest, with the star primer being the most recent. There are two verified star varieties and a third I am in the process of verifying.

Doug

OK, great thanks a lot!...both of the ones I found today say Just UMC CO, BTW.... no REM or Remington......

OK, great thanks a lot!...both of the ones I found today say Just UMC CO, BTW.... no REM or Remington......

With no Remington or REM, they are definately pre-merger and 1910 or before. They are great finds! Congrats and welcome to the forum!

Doug

A single circle around the primer is the middle part of the date range.

Doug

Thanks for the info Turtlefoot. Either way I knew it was old, it was a nickel signal at 12inchs down under a tree root. Got me researching myself stupid about the towns history

Found several of these today, knew they were shells, but never heard of the name. I was hunting an old road cut into a large hill by the river no longer used, I suspect goes back to early 1800's. I found 7 total all within feet of each other. Least it was something old, may go back and try again now that I know they're old.

The Black Club named line would never get on the shelf these days, due to the wording being likely to offend most folks. It is interesting how word meanings change over a century and a quarter.

Black club with no circles?

I have two date ranges for you on this one...

1891-1905 - This comes from a noted historian. The historian stated that there were no official records on the Black Club, but this information came from hand written notes from the period.

1894-1898 - This is my date range. I can honestly state that I feel this date range is closer to correct.

~The 1891 updated price list only lists the Club shotshells
~The 1892-1893 updated price lists list the New Club, Smokeless and Trap shells.
~I don't have access to the 1894 price list, but I do have a copy of an ad from the 1894 Recreation Magazine that lists the Black Club.
~The 1895 and 1896 UMC Catalogs list the Black Club.
~I don't have access to the 1897-1898 catalogs, but it is in an ad in an 1898 Forest and Stream magazine.
~It is not listed in the 1899-1910 UMC catalogs.
~I have yet to find any UMC ad for this line of shells after 1898.

I am well aware that catalogs and ads are not the most accurate way to date shells, specifically headstamp varieties, but it is compelling that this shell was only nationally advertised during the years that it was listed in the catalogs.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom