• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Help to ID holed "coins"

Acuva24

I found both of these at an early-mid 1800s toll gate. They have been sitting on my shelf for quite some time but just came across them again and decided to ask for some help. These two coin-like pieces are both holes and weigh 0.3g and 0.4g. As you can see they are wafer thin. One of them appears to have a left facing head. Looks similar to a Mercury dime but there is no way these can be dimes, right??

Any ideas? Im stumped.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 585
They look similar to British Sixpence 1838-1887...What does the other side look like ?

What color/material seems to be peeking through to you, in person?
It looks like a liberty head (with a ring of stars ) to me.

I know you don't want to hear this and I have no idea why they would be in the area of an old toll booth. The hole is suspiciously round. Belly dancing bangles?

Attachments

• IMG_3692.JPG
    IMG_3692.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 393
I know you don't want to hear this and I have no idea why they would be in the area of an old toll booth. The hole is suspiciously round. Belly dancing bangles?

TexasLurker.....how on Earth did you find that?!?! Of all the things I looked up, belly dancing bangles surely wasn't one!!! I have to think you are right on this one. They are just so light and thin that I can not imagine that they are coins.

Great ID, thank you. If I find a few more, maybe I could make my own belt..

:laughing::laughing:

Well my job keeps me busy and my bad knees make difficult to do much hunting. Gotta get my thrill somehow. Chasing IDs is half the fun. :jester:

definitely looks like a three cent piece.
Here's one i found.

However yours looks too thin. So maybe it is a decorative/toy play money.

Except for the fact the things he found have stars around the edge, not text. And these are the approximate diameter of a penny, where as three cent nickles are the same diameter as a dime.

Do these only have stuff on the one side?
I was hoping that they might be $2.50 gold pieces (the only ones I know of about the right size, and basically right image)... as unlikely as that would be. But they might have matched the mentioned age of the site.
However I do believe the belly dancer dangles to be correct.

Last edited:
Do these only have stuff on the one side?
I was hoping that they might be $2.50 gold pieces (the only ones I know of about the right size, and basically right image)... as unlikely as that would be. But they might have matched the mentioned age of the site.
However I do believe the belly dancer dangles to be correct.

NHBenz,
Great thought and wishes but I think they are the belly dancing bangles. The opposite sides from those shown in the picture are unrecognizable completely. I wish some day to find a gold piece though!

Back
Top Bottom