Help out a new guy; Compadre, uMax, or Cibola

ckpage86

Hey guys, looking to buy a machine. I have been going out with my 10 year old who got a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for Xmas. We are both having fun, but I feel the BH is not the best, and want something of my own, and something better. We have been checking out parks, and we have a national forest close by we have been checking the trails and such. I am interested in finding coins, and gold. My son is excited to find bullet casings (which we find a ton of so far) so even though I consider most of our hunts bad days, they are great days for him!

I was originally looking at expensive machines, and realized as much as I would like to spend $900 on a machine, I do not think that is the best route to go right now, enter Tesoro machines. For the cost I can purchase a pin pointer and whatever accessories I might want and still be way under the cost of the more expensive machines. I started looking at the Tesoros machines seriously this morning, and I am now considering purchasing one of them to hone my skills on.

So, from you guys I was hoping you could give me advice for the following three machines:

1. Compadre, looks good, grab and go, cheap, would go with the open 8" coil
2. Silver uMax, seems more flexible with the sensitivity knob, lower frequency than Compadre (I am leaning towards this model for sensitivity?)
3. Cibola, a little more than uMax, has more knobs and such

What would be the best option in terms of cost, flexibility, ease of use, and overall opinions on these devices.

Of those 3, the Cibola is the way to go. More depth, pinpoint, frequency change. You will not have the tone ID as you do on the Tracker, but Tesoros have a unique language once you master it. I have the Compadre and the Silver and wish I had the Cibola instead of the Silver. I won't part with the Compadre.:grin:

The Compadre and Silver Umax perform very similar with 8" coil. If you want more depth then Cibola. Trust me if you put in the effort and start making good finds you will quickly outgrow all three. I would get an AT Pro for a little more. They aregreat mid range machines that hold their value and are easy to sell if you decide hobby not for you.

The Compadre and Silver Umax perform very similar with 8" coil. If you want more depth then Cibola. Trust me if you put in the effort and start making good finds you will quickly outgrow all three. I would get an AT Pro for a little more. They aregreat mid range machines that hold their value and are easy to sell if you decide hobby not for you.

+1

There are a few really good mid range machines but you really can't go wrong with a Tesoro.
The Cibola even without the manual GB of the Vaquero is supposed to be a deep seeker in decent soil while still having the speed, response, recovery and sensitivity they all are pretty much known for.
Plus you have plenty of coil choices to pick from.

I do believe the Compadre is still a tool everyone should have in their arsenal no matter what.
It is not a depth demon but it can do a few extraordinary things in a few certain situations that surprises most everyone that has experienced it.

I would get a Cibola first, a Compadre eventually.

Also just because I am a great fan you might want to look around for a barely used F70 which many have picked up in the $400 even down to the $325-350 range.
There have been deals like this out there from time to time.

Last edited:
I don't have a Cibola but of the three,that would be what I chose.People have put a adjustable ground balance mod on them.Like Digger says, My compadre has found some nice finds, for being so simple, it is astounding of what it has been able to find for me.

Back
Top Bottom