Calling The Realtor

fuzzytexan

Forum Supporter
Been trying to find out who owns a property for a while and notice today they had it up for sale. Any tips on getting past the Realtor to get owner info? Or relaying info to the owner?

I've tried this before with no luck. I have an in that we can hunt the adjacent property so I'm gonna drop that little nugget of info.

I have my detecting business cards, and a professional email draft I use that usually does the trick. However I have yet to have any success through the Realtor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen a youtube video or two where they said the realtor gave permission but it seemed unlikely to me that it was true. Is there a land ownership website in your area, usually a GIS website. Here in PA we have one, it makes it easy to see who owns a property but sometimes the contact info is bogus. Good luck!

I tried that twice. Both times the realtor was helpful in getting me to the owner. I wasn't able to get a permission but I still think that is a viable way to look for one.

BCD

I've been using the "onX HUNT" app. For my area there is no GIS interface online so I've found the app to be quite helpful. Like most things nowadays, the app is free but to access your state you must buy a subscription. It's pretty cheap and it's already paid for itself many times over. Good luck!

In Texas, go to the County Appraisal District website and do a search by address. It's online and it's simple. It will provide you the owners name and mailing address. Bypass the Realtor as they do not have the authority under a standard listing agreement to give you permission to MD a private property they have listed for sale.

BTW, do a search like 'Rockwall County Appraisal District' or 'Dallas CAD' and it should take you the applicable county's website.

In Texas, go to the County Appraisal District website and do a search by address. It's online and it's simple. It will provide you the owners name and mailing address. Bypass the Realtor as they do not have the authority under a standard listing agreement to give you permission to MD a private property they have listed for sale.

BTW, do a search like 'Rockwall County Appraisal District' or 'Dallas CAD' and it should take you the applicable county's website.

Bingo!! Thank you!!

I've used the county's website before but it was awful last year! They have some nice updates and included a map search now!

Last edited:
Bingo!! Thank you!!

I've used the county's website before but it was awful last year! They have some nice update and included a map search now!

You are welcome fuzzytexan.

Some of the more remote, rural counties do not have elaborate websites or on-line search capabilities. Remember this: the owner's name and mailing address of every privately owned property in the county, along with property tax information, is PUBLIC INFORMATION. You (the public) have a right to access this information and they (the Chief Appraiser and their staff) have an obligation to provide you this information. If you need to, call them, or stop by their office to inquire. It is their duty to provide you the information and they are generally very courteous and helpful.

I am a Realtor in Oregon, and I would NEVER give out a client's information. Your best option is to write a letter to the current owner. Let the agent read it so she/he knows your intent, and ask them to pass it along. If the agent is even remotely good at their job, they'll not only pass it along, but go to bat for you as well. As a realtor, I am always trying to prove my worth to people that enter my path. If he comes through for you, are you the type to send someone his way? Just something to keep in mind.
Jim

I am a Realtor in Oregon, and I would NEVER give out a client's information. Your best option is to write a letter to the current owner. Let the agent read it so she/he knows your intent, and ask them to pass it along. If the agent is even remotely good at their job, they'll not only pass it along, but go to bat for you as well. As a realtor, I am always trying to prove my worth to people that enter my path. If he comes through for you, are you the type to send someone his way? Just something to keep in mind.

Jim

Agreed Beav, I tried to put myself in the Realtors shoes. My goal wasn't to just have the Realtor cough up the info, that wouldn't be good business. I have done what you had suggested in the past and once I did I never got a response, no biggie just moved on. Tough job a Realtor, I have respect for the hussle and hard work it takes.

With the suggestions above about the county website I checked again. Like I said that website was a wreck!! I checked this week and boom, while new web page with map search function.

Get this, me and my hunting buddy already know the landowner and have permissions on other properties, hence we got permission cleared!!

You are welcome fuzzytexan.

Some of the more remote, rural counties do not have elaborate websites or on-line search capabilities. Remember this: the owner's name and mailing address of every privately owned property in the county, along with property tax information, is PUBLIC INFORMATION. You (the public) have a right to access this information and they (the Chief Appraiser and their staff) have an obligation to provide you this information. If you need to, call them, or stop by their office to inquire. It is their duty to provide you the information and they are generally very courteous and helpful.
here in Tn. it's a state web site.. just select county, enter address..

Back
Top Bottom