Cleaning Large Cent and Buffalo Nickel

BlueShuckle

I decided to clean a couple of coins that have been sitting around for awhile. I figured they couldn't get any worse than they already were and decided to put them in the tumbler to try and clean some of the dirt off. I made sure neither of the coins were pitted or worn down because then the tumbler would do more harm than good. Here are a couple of pictures of the before and after. One is an 1851 Large Cent and the other is a 1929 Buffalo Nickel.
picture.php

picture.php

They both seemed to clean up rather well and I'm happy with the results! As you can see from the pictures I couldn't even see the obverse picture on the nickel.
For tumbling I used aquarium gravel and dish soap with some water and left each in for two hours separately.

Blue, good job! :yes:

These are the same results I get when I tumble my dirty clad while using the same formula.
Just a couple of hours will remove the surface build up enough to make them a clean and spendable coins again.

Your coins look great.

Most of all you had two good coins to start with.
Excellent date on the Buffalo and the LC looks like it didn't get a lot of circulation wear either. :cool:

nice job

I decided to clean a couple of coins that have been sitting around for awhile. I figured they couldn't get any worse than they already were and decided to put them in the tumbler to try and clean some of the dirt off. I made sure neither of the coins were pitted or worn down because then the tumbler would do more harm than good. Here are a couple of pictures of the before and after. One is an 1851 Large Cent and the other is a 1929 Buffalo Nickel.
picture.php

picture.php

They both seemed to clean up rather well and I'm happy with the results! As you can see from the pictures I couldn't even see the obverse picture on the nickel.
For tumbling I used aquarium gravel and dish soap with some water and left each in for two hours separately.

You did very well

Back
Top Bottom