• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Need advice on a silver walker

I didn't think there was until the flood gates opened! Lol. Not be any left now. :laughing::laughing:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=225366

I just read your post on your silver finds! That is awesome. Do you mind telling me the general area? I am just curious and haven't been back to NC since I was at Camp LeJuene in the early '80's. No I am not trying to raid your areas:laughing::p just curious and I miss NC!!!

Semper Fi

Sonic cleaner don't work. If this is iron-sand chemically bonded to the silver, you should give lemon juice a try. It will react to the iron much more readily than the silver.

This may be a project where you have to work on it to remove the junk little by little.

If you live near a university, you could stop in to their chemistry department and get the stuff analyzed. Once identified, the chem dept. should be able to tell you what to use to remove it.

I did it!

I finally got it clean with your help! Took a lot of time, work and combination of methods but totally worth it. Boiling it with vinegar and lemon juice did most of the work. Tumbling with that same mix with some dish soap and aquarium gravel helped with the rest. Soaking in gas helped a little, but the carb cleaner didn't have much effect. Thanks again for helping me save this gorgeous gal!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 179
IMHO, I would start out with mineral spirits. That is how I clean my antique fishing reels and works well. Just a thought

Ok, soaked it in gas overnight and I was able to get a little more off. I tried carb cleaner next, but that really didn't do anything. I'm going to try to tumble it again to see if any of it loosened up. I need to go find one of those sonic cleaners sometime.

Take it to a coiN shop and ask the guy threr for advice

Back
Top Bottom