Cleaning rusted items

Astronomersmith

This may be a really stupid question, but, I never claimed to be a genius.
Anyway, most of my hunting is on an old (but unfortunately not THAT old) farm with pasture/livestock land mostly, with some crops too I'm sure. That said, I dig up a lot of rusted steel "things".
Probably worthless, but I'd still like to identify them and I've posted pics here before and some friendly people have helped me out in that department. Most of them are thick with rust, and while I've helped some by 'whacking' them against each other or with a hammer, I wonder if there is another, better way?

The most interesting things have been horse shoes and possibly a couple of oxen shoes. I've beat them until I could actually see the iron of the shoe on one or two of these. I also found a one inch nut that was almost triangular with rust. I tapped on it until I found a flat edge, and figured out what it was.

BTW, on this picture I've attached, showing that nut, and a horseshoe (I assume?)....can you tell me if it appears bent, or could a horses hoof be that narrow? Just wondering?

Also, I didn't put any measurements on this pic...sorry, I thought about it right after I uploaded it! The horseshoe over all length is 3.75" x 2.75", and the nut (rust and all) is 1.5" x 1.0".

So, are there any awesome and amazing tricks of the trade, on BAD rust removal, that I might be able to try? One guy told me, use a sandblaster. Well, not doable, because I don't have access to one. Other suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

• rusted2.jpg
    rusted2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 383
You can always go the electrolysis route. Works pretty good and can usually cobble something together with stuff that just laying around the house not being used.

Electrolysis works really good, use the search button at the top of the page, quite a few good threads already, which goes into detail, and several how-to's for stuff you probably already have on hand. Lot's of common household chemicals can be used as an electrolyte, just something to change the pH of the water, so it conducts better. Pure water conducts poorly. You want to just use a little bit, or it's like a direct short, doesn't help. It's not a hook it up, and leave it thing, you want to check on it periodically. Sometimes you don't want to go all the way down to bare metal either, details rust quicker, might lose some clues, like writing, numbers. Start on your less interesting, scrap-type items, as practice, see how it works.

It's takes very little work, to remove heavy rust, without damage or physical effort, pretty much free as well.

Thanks for the electrolysis recommendation. I will have to look into that. I had "thought" that was only for silver? Shows how much I don't know!
Scott

Back
Top Bottom