Valuable lesson

Chipk

Elite Member
When I started I was told I'd need a tumbler and they were right. Then I asked what to put in it and I was told white aquarium gravel, blue Dawn detergent and water.

And that's what I did but many of my coins came out as dirty looking as they did before. But recently I was doing research here and someone mentioned white vinegar and a light bulb went off. Started adding a shot of vinegar and the results have been amazing.

I use tiny white gravel rocks on side road they throw down in winter...works perfectly and it's free! lol

I just read somebody suggested using just lemon juice and his results were pretty much like new...he says.

I got in the habit of putting my clad in a flavored coffee creamer bottle with some gravel water and soap and shake it, empty it shake it again till the water runs off clean and that knocks off all the surface dirt.
Then it goes into the tumbler to get the rest of the dirt cleaned off without having to deal with all the extra surface dirt.
Lately I have been using low suds ammonia and a little soap plus gravel and that works pretty good but I will experiment with some new recipes.

I use aquarium gravel, ammonia and toilet bowl cleaner. Don't come out brand new shiny, but good enough for the coin counting machine

I tumble the clad, but just put the pennies in a jar of vinegar and salt. shake it a few minutes and let it sit for about a half hour. Most come out looking like new. About a tablespoon of salt per cup of vinegar.

I have a bucket of clad from last year that I never cleaned..... probably a few bucks worth riding in the map pocket of my car as well.... Going to need some batteries soon, so I guess I ought to do something with it!

Good digs.

Pawaide

I worked to get my clad shiney clean out if the tumbler when first starting tumbling. I only use small gravel and a few drops of dishwashing liquid. All I need to do is get then to spend at cash registers and pass at the bank, so as long as they are clean with 90% details visable, that all I personally need. That all takes just a few hours. jm2c

Question here, I see mention of pennies needing to be separated often but I'm assuming just the zincolns right? Or do copper pennies turn the silvers pink as well? I've come across a bunch of zincolns I found outside but not really buried... I've been thinking about cleaning them using more chemical means because I don't think many of them would survive the tumbling I give my coins (hand shaking in a gatorade bottle)

Also people should post pics of their results. I tried vinegar once on a few coins and they turned a horrible grey color about an hour after I took them out.

I tried vinegar once on a few coins and they turned a horrible grey color about an hour after I took them out.

Only use vinegar and salt on pennies. Tumble clad by itself or any pennies will turn the clad pinkish. Then you'll have a hard time explaining the reason it's pink to the bank. I know from experience, did it the first time tumbling:D GL Tom

When I started I was told I'd need a tumbler and they were right. Then I asked what to put in it and I was told white aquarium gravel, blue Dawn detergent and water.

And that's what I did but many of my coins came out as dirty looking as they did before. But recently I was doing research here and someone mentioned white vinegar and a light bulb went off. Started adding a shot of vinegar and the results have been amazing.

Thanks for the tip !
HH

I use aquarium gravel, ammonia and toilet bowl cleaner. Don't come out brand new shiny, but good enough for the coin counting machine

I do the same, but use dish washing liquid.

I get the same results.

I never made an effort to shine the clad.

What seems to be the best formula to revive the tarnished clad?

I use to use salt and vinegar but didn't enjoy the smell. Just like a rock tumbler needs abrasive media, I started using Comet and a little bit of water. Works awesome!

When using the salt and vinegar method, you do not need to tumble. It only takes a few shakes and let it sit for about 20 minutes or so and 90% will look like new. Helps to have dirt and mud washed off before.

I gave up wasting time and money to make my clad pretty. All I care is that it's crud free so that it will go through the sorter/counter at my bank without jambing it.

Just give it a tumble, rinse, let dry, and take it in.

Back
Top Bottom