Bucket lister while digging bottles

ynnek4

Hello,

I have been (almost comically) continually finding trash pits/privies as of late at a permission I have been hunting for about 2 years. (https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=276359) I am finding a metal detector is a great tool finding bottles!:D

Background: This site has had a lot of full McCormick/spice extract, full Chero/Lime/Coke bottles (all Coke have been broken-straight side and hobble skirts), ink wells, mustard, whiskey, skin care etc etc. Pretty much the full gamut of early 1900-1920's. My shelves are full to the brim much to my wife's chagrin. The latest discovered spot at this permission was discovered after getting a solid 39-40 on my Equinox. That ended up being a tin plate which was the key to finding this latest pit. Everything is about 1-2 feet down but the total area is at least 10'x 10' but could be bigger. Part of it is on a nicely groomed yard and the rest looks like it extends into a wooded area. The landowner said I could clear out any of the woods/foliage to fully dig it out (:yes:). The woods where it goes back in appears to have a slight gradual hill where various trees and brush are growing out of. I am hoping I found the edge of some type of dump and this is just the beginning.

Anyway, the original point of this post.....I have eyeballed two coins (and a New York general service button) while digging these. A 1925 Wheat and my first SLQ. The SLQ is pretty worn and will need some cleaning but I am very pleased with it. I have read this happens from time to time with bottle diggers finding coins and it happened to me twice last week! Crazy odds I guess!?

Moral to the story; Continually check your dirt and if you find some large trashy iron objects do your due diligence and make sure you have not stumbled upon a trash pit/dump/privy.

Good luck and happy hunting!

IMG-6691.jpg

59958528435-2-AEE4-A1-A-1198-4845-A03-B-3-DA5-F678-B091.jpg

59994925827-29743-EBB-2488-4-E8-C-93-E6-95-A1-F3-BACC15.jpg

Very cool! Not sure why this post didn’t get more love but congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love digging bottles, and have found many coins while doing so. I once found a sterling child's bracelet in a dump, and my uncle dug a 10K gold emerald ring as well, all on the banks of rivers which were once the town dumping grounds. Bottle digging is much harder than detecting, and alot dirtier usually, that's probably why I tend to grab the detector most times :lol: have you dug any pontil bottles yet? Those get the heart pumping for sure. Good luck and happy hunting!

Enjoyed your story and pictures. I had a few bottle dumps when I lived in Illinois and always enjoyed the digging. Found one in the middle of a corn field once that seemed like a whole kitchen was plowed under. Found it after finding a tin cup with detector. Dug a little more and found flattened pots and pans.

Haven't found any dumps in Texas yet.

HH

I missed this post too. Some great finds - post some bottle finds pics too. I have an old site where I hope to find some dumps or privies, just bought a soil probe.

Very cool! Not sure why this post didn’t get more love but congrats!

Thanks! I actually found a 1905 V nickel the next time in the hole. I guess the original hole digger(s) had holes in their pockets or the coins where in one of the bottles that were in hole.

I love digging bottles, and have found many coins while doing so. I once found a sterling child's bracelet in a dump, and my uncle dug a 10K gold emerald ring as well, all on the banks of rivers which were once the town dumping grounds. Bottle digging is much harder than detecting, and alot dirtier usually, that's probably why I tend to grab the detector most times :lol: have you dug any pontil bottles yet? Those get the heart pumping for sure. Good luck and happy hunting!
Wow! that is awesome about the bracelet! This bottle digging venture is pretty new to me as of late but I am really, really enjoying it! I am finding tons of silverware mostly (a lot of spoons!). And yes, you get way more dirty digging for bottles. It is actually a great upper body workout to be honest. Nope, no pontils yet. I think this site is around 1900-1920's.

Enjoyed your story and pictures. I had a few bottle dumps when I lived in Illinois and always enjoyed the digging. Found one in the middle of a corn field once that seemed like a whole kitchen was plowed under. Found it after finding a tin cup with detector. Dug a little more and found flattened pots and pans.

Haven't found any dumps in Texas yet.

HH

I am having a lot more luck with my detector than the probe I have. I probably just haven't mastered the probe. The detector has led me to 3 of the 4 trash pits I have dug out.

I missed this post too. Some great finds - post some bottle finds pics too. I have an old site where I hope to find some dumps or privies, just bought a soil probe.

Thanks!

There are some updated pics in this thread:
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=276359&page=2

Not the oldest stuff (I think early 1900's -1920's) but I am very pleased with it all considering I am a major bottle newbie.

I am currently digging into the woods now with this particular spot hoping it continues into brush. I actually found another coin in the same hole; 1905 V nickel.

Let’s see the back of the SLQ! That’s the big reveal on an SLQ

Great find. My uncle was quite a prolific bottle digger in Virginia City. He bought a metal detector in the 70’s to check his dirt piles when filling back in. He found a lot of coins in the holes. My dad would always screen the holes when digging bottles.

Congrats on the SLQ! You cleaned it up nicely.
Thanks! I was surprised how good it came out. I was not expecting that much detail. I have a process I use now for silver and I am very happy with it. It pretty much looked like a ivory white slick disc right out of the hole.
Nice finds man! Usually the only by catch I get are marbles.
Thanks! Yep, found one marble in this hole but it had a nick. Still cool nonetheless. The landowner actually said that was my best find (the marble).
Congrats on the slq! I used to collect bottles too and found hundreds but sold them. Happy hunting!
Thanks! It is a lot of fun looking for and digging them. Fascinating hobby.

Let’s see the back of the SLQ! That’s the big reveal on an SLQ

Great find. My uncle was quite a prolific bottle digger in Virginia City. He bought a metal detector in the 70’s to check his dirt piles when filling back in. He found a lot of coins in the holes. My dad would always screen the holes when digging bottles.
IMG-7177.jpg

I guess it is a type 2 1918-25? Every now and then I swear I see a hint of a date. Oh well. I plan on hit the dirt piles again when I go back. Sifting sounds like a good idea!
Way to keep you eyes looking for those round discs. Maybe a ring is in your future??
I hope so! Never found a gold ring. A handful of silver rings though. I can't complain!
Sweet finds and the slq is great!

Much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom