Coin machine strikes back!!

Chipk

Elite Member
I had the craziest experience today.

I took $200 worth of coin roll rejects to one of my banks and deposited them in their coin machine. As the receipt was coming out of its slot I reached in to grab the 7-8 coins that had fallen into the rejects tray.
When I grabbed them I had a strong flash of pain. I said something unrepeatable and threw the coins on the floor. It felt like I had grabbed broken glass, sharp metal, jellyfish / Portuguese Man O’ War sting or a nasty electrical shock. VERY painful. I looked around on the floor and in the rejects tray trying to figure out what had attacked me.

But there was nothing there.

I knelt down and picked up one of my thrown half dollars and promptly dropped it again. THE COIN WAS HOT! Hot enough to have just come out of a fire.

I carry my coins in a plastic ammunition box and I held it up to the rejects tray and quickly scraped the remaining coins into the box. Then I went back to the coins on the floor. I scooped up one of the half dollars and was doing a “Hot potato” routine of bouncing it up and down in my hand until it cooled. A teller looked out of her window about 15 feet away and asked if anything was wrong. I handed her the Kennedy and said “Hold this” and dropped it in her hand. She promptly dropped it and said “That thing is HOT!”

Now the branch management was called. They found me soaking my aching hand in the water fountain where the water was cold. The manager, a woman, wanted me to do an accident report and I agreed. But she was trying to orchestrate this and wanted me to go with her supervisor, a man, to a private office but I wasn’t budging until they opened the machine up. She was refusing but I insisted. I told her something was malfunctioning and maybe half of my coins were in that machine, uncounted. Plus I was afraid it might be on fire. That heat didn’t just materialize.

She literally was blocking me from the machine with her body but I wasnt giving in. Finally she starts to open the machine but tells me there are coins in there but she can’t concede they may be mine. When the lid lifted there was indeed a handful of coins strewn all through the machine. In fact there were TWO reject trays inside, both with coins. They had probably been there a while because of the dust but who knows.

as she started to close the lid I asked why all of those coins didn’t go into the outside reject tray so the customers could retrieve them. She faltered and finally said, “ Because. They just don’t...”

WHAT?????? Those coins still have value and they are stealing it from the rightful owners. To be continued.

This happened about 10 hours ago and the pain has subsided to the level of a wasp sting. There is a long narrow blister beneath my middle finger.

HAS ANYBODY EVER EXPERIENCED THIS OR KNOW ANYBODY WHO HAS HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN? I’d like to know about it.

That's the strangest thing I've ever heard. Sounds like a case for Gloria Allred.

I had the craziest experience today.

I took $200 worth of coin roll rejects to one of my banks and deposited them in their coin machine. As the receipt was coming out of its slot I reached in to grab the 7-8 coins that had fallen into the rejects tray.

When I grabbed them I had a strong flash of pain. I said something unrepeatable and threw the coins on the floor. It felt like I had grabbed broken glass, sharp metal, jellyfish / Portuguese Man O’ War sting or a nasty electrical shock. VERY painful. I looked around on the floor and in the rejects tray trying to figure out what had attacked me.

But there was nothing there.

I knelt down and picked up one of my thrown half dollars and promptly dropped it again. THE COIN WAS HOT! Hot enough to have just come out of a fire.

I carry my coins in a plastic ammunition box and I held it up to the rejects tray and quickly scraped the remaining coins into the box. Then I went back to the coins on the floor. I scooped up one of the half dollars and was doing a “Hot potato” routine of bouncing it up and down in my hand until it cooled. A teller looked out of her window about 15 feet away and asked if anything was wrong. I handed her the Kennedy and said “Hold this” and dropped it in her hand. She promptly dropped it and said “That thing is HOT!”

Now the branch management was called. They found me soaking my aching hand in the water fountain where the water was cold. The manager, a woman, wanted me to do an accident report and I agreed. But she was trying to orchestrate this and wanted me to go with her supervisor, a man, to a private office but I wasn’t budging until they opened the machine up. She was refusing but I insisted. I told her something was malfunctioning and maybe half of my coins were in that machine, uncounted. Plus I was afraid it might be on fire. That heat didn’t just materialize.

She literally was blocking me from the machine with her body but I wasnt giving in. Finally she starts to open the machine but tells me there are coins in there but she can’t concede they may be mine. When the lid lifted there was indeed a handful of coins strewn all through the machine. In fact there were TWO reject trays inside, both with coins. They had probably been there a while because of the dust but who knows.

as she started to close the lid I asked why all of those coins didn’t go into the outside reject tray so the customers could retrieve them. She faltered and finally said, “ Because. They just don’t...”

WHAT?????? Those coins still have value and they are stealing it from the rightful owners. To be continued.

This happened about 10 hours ago and the pain has subsided to the level of a wasp sting. There is a long narrow blister beneath my middle finger.

HAS ANYBODY EVER EXPERIENCED THIS OR KNOW ANYBODY WHO HAS HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN? I’d like to know about it.
There was a class action lawsuit against TD bank in the US and their coin machines. They did remove the machines and I did get some money from them but not very much. Canada just removed the machines. It seems they were not counting the coins properly, short changing the customs. I did experience hot rejects but nothing like you described.

Ken

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I suspect the hot coin resulted from friction getting stuck in the round cylinder that rotates and drops proper coin sizes in proper slots. The coin may have been in at an angle and was rubbing the metal as it went round and round and something finally bumped it into the reject tray and then you found out that it was hot.

Time to whip out your cell phone take a picture of your burned hand and the coin sorter and off to a good attorney that specializes in medical issues. He would have sent you to his house doctor to get a professional opinion.

You would have likely collected some nice pile of coins less the 40% for your attorney's fees.

Then sue the coin sorter manufacture for another pile of coins.
Make sure the agreement is they pay you off in quarter and half dollar coins and you can coin roll for the rest of your life and pick out the silver coins.

Your attorney can take his cut in coins and give them to shills who will turn them in and get burned like you did and start a new category of personal damage lawsuits.

Sounds like you stumbled on a good thing. Just tell the rest of us how that coin got stuck? bent? Dirty? We want to get in on the action.

Yess!!! Same thing but the lady went over to the teller and told her to give me all the cash she had (a big sack full) and then sent me to Walgreens to buy a box of bandaids...I'm Good now..:-)

PS Sent my brother there the next morning but the dang machine was gone...

Last edited:
Never had A real problem with a counter. I did overfill the reject tray one time with zinclons and they opened the machine to see what the problem was. there were a few coins in the machine and the lady just scooped them up and gave them to me. Once we discovered the reject tray was full and I removed them things went back to normal. I ran the rejects thru the machine a few times until I only had a few that would not get counted.

I worked on 2 coin sorters from the company cafeteria and they both had coins stuck between 2 rollers that move them in to sorter. When that happens they get extremely hot vey quickly. They both were slightly bent which is probably why they were jammed in there.

I went to my local TD bank , when they still had coin machines.I brought some dirty clad in and fed in about $ 10 when the machine jammed ,I called the teller and she open up the machine and there a ton of coins ,she scooped all of them out and gave them to me,there was around $40 clad and 3 40% half dollars.That jam worked out real good for me.

FOLLOW UP.

Yesterday I was contacted by a corporate Vice President. He wanted to talk but I told him I would email him a complete write up complete with photos. I learned long ago a verbal exchange and things may be misconstrued, inaccurate or completely wrong. Plus important details are often omitted. Basically I sent him about 5 pages and pictures of the blisters on my hand.

I don’t think he will be prepared for what I told him and will doubtlessly wish to discuss it with his superiors and attorneys. I challenged him on why all coins aren’t returned to the owners. Seems like fraud or theft to me. I had long considered contacting a news reporter and letting them investigate. We will see what happens

I had an experience last summer at the local credit union machine. I reached into the reject slot and felt a hot stinging pain when touching the coins in there. I pulled my hand back quick and said "ouch" so fast the guy next to me must have thought - what's up with this idiot. It felt like an electric shock. It was just a hot coin.

You can't sue them... Think about all the times you've dumped dirty and bent coins in those things hoping to get away with not jamming the machine.

And buying boxes and boxes of half dollars from a teller knowing you would unroll them all and bring 30 pounds of loose halves for them to spend 20 minutes running them through a counter.

Sorry you had an unfortunate encounter with it and I'm sure you've always tumbled your coins spotless and picked bent and corroded pennies out but don't ruin things for the rest of us.

Wear gloves next time. I'm considering them every time I grab a handful of sticky coins from the coinstar tray. Yuk!

Last edited:
Reminds me of a bent nickel that jammed one of those machines. The teller opened the machine, and I was embarrassed when we saw my less than perfect bunch of coins, plus a lot of debris that was not from me. The nickel was stuck underneath the rotating tray. When we got it out, it was ground down on the bent part, and quite hot. No blisters or burns that day, but I can see how that can happen. I have heard of the hidden internal reject trays before, but haven't seen one in the 4 or 5 times I've seen those machines opened. Can't think of a legitimate reason for that!

Back
Top Bottom