(Hopefully) Found my first privy/trash pit

UPDATE

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=279281

I plan on going back this week to fully excavate the newest hole.

Any particular Coke bottles to keep an eye out for? I am finding a lot but they are mostly broken. Mostly hobble skirt but some straight.

Thanks!

Keep every straight one you find. For the hobbles, I would just bring them home and clean them off. I think the Xmas cokes are the hobbles worth some cash.

Can’t wait to see what you find

Found about 14 whole bottles and got lucky again with a random coin (and button). This time a 1905 V nickel! Mostly the small McCormick extract type bottles but also a larger salad dressing (?) looking bottle and a Beaufont cola bottle. Also, 3 little vials and one that still has some of the label (Williams kidney, Georgia). Will post pics tonight. Going back in the coming days to dig towards the wooded area of the pit. Still found tons of broken Coke bottles and tons of the the cobalt Bromo bottles. Thought we had a full Bromo but alas the tip was gone!

The whiskey bottle is cool!
I’ve dug my share of dumps and couple privies when I was a teen 40 years ago. In the late ‘70s there was an article in Old Bottle News magazine about some diggers that contracted a harmful virus unearthing old bottles in a area containing 100 year old chicken manure.

Isn't a "Privy" an out-house? Who wants to dig around in that?!

The contents that are not glass or metal have long since become Dirt. Some excellent bottle have come out of those holes. the old man would not want to take his bottle in the house and face the old lady So he would finish the contents and drop the bottle in the hole. Some of those old bottles are quite valuable.

The whiskey bottle is cool!
I’ve dug my share of dumps and couple privies when I was a teen 40 years ago. In the late ‘70s there was an article in Old Bottle News magazine about some diggers that contracted a harmful virus unearthing old bottles in a area containing 100 year old chicken manure.

Ewww... I guess I am wearing a mask from now on!

Here is a pic (not the greatest pic) of the latest finds and of the hole(which is only 1-2 feet deep). You can also see the woods behind where I believe the pit continues into. Going back tomorrow to clear out a lot of that and hopefully find some more.

Happy hunting!

View-album-Recents.jpg

My uncle used to live in Panama and he brought back to the States some round bottom bottles similar to that one. He said the Spanish brought them over to the "New World" with wine in them. He said the bottom was round so that you would only store them on their side and wouldn't dry the cork out. I don't have any idea how long these type of bottles were in use or how many different nationalities used them.

Back
Top Bottom