New permission

CarsonChris

Elite Member
I have a new permission on a home built in the 1920’s. It’s being torn down. The nails are overwhelming. This home is in an old section of town and most likely had a previous home on it from the 1870’s. These nails are killing my depth.

Anyone know of a large magnet that’s good at sucking up surface nails?

I have a new permission on a home built in the 1920’s. It’s being torn down. The nails are overwhelming. This home is in an old section of town and most likely had a previous home on it from the 1870’s. These nails are killing my depth.

Anyone know of a large magnet that’s good at sucking up surface nails?

Check out a post .... months ago .... made by "scuba detective". His thread was about something industrial, for underwater purposes (eg.: not cheap and certainly not "mobile"). But as I recall, the thread turned to the topic of hand-held types, for situations such as you cite. Eg.: where the surface of a ghost-town or demolition site is littered with surface nails.

Anything handheld and mobile is probably not going to be strong enough to pull them from even a micro-inch of depth. But .... I dunno. Looking forward to seeing what feedback you get.

I don’t remember the name of it but there’s a thing that roofers use. You push it like a fertilizer/seed spreader but it picks up the dropped nails with a magnet. It won’t pull buried ones though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m wondering if a rare earth fishing magnet would be the key? The guys tearing down the house are saving the old sawn lumber and pulling nails as they go.

I’m wondering if a rare earth fishing magnet would be the key? The guys tearing down the house are saving the old sawn lumber and pulling nails as they go.

It would have to be a very big and strong rare earth magnet to remove them from under the soil

If they're laying on top of the ground like that a strong magnet would work fine. I just can't imagine why the workers wouldn't put the nails in a bucket unless the spot is going to be a parking lot. Now if someone mows the grass they could get a flat tire. Also, good luck there.

If they are actually on the surface, then you can get a strong magnet on wheels that you push around. I bought mine at harbor freight when I helped with a playground cleanup.

https://www.harborfreight.com/22-inch-magnetic-floor-sweeper-with-release-98399.html

I used it after my house was reroofed--after the roofers used theirs---and I picked up dozens more nails. Also handy to "sweep" the garage after a project, or to find any small metal pieces accidently dropped in carpet.

As far as detecting, I have used it a few times at permissions. Where it worked like a charm was a backyard with an old shed that had been torn down and replaced with a new one. I picked up a lot of old and new metal bits. But the ground was still dirt and I was able to set the sweeper height really low. If the ground is damp and the metal is pressed into it, then the magnet isn't going to be strong enough.

If there's thick grass, then you have to adjust the height high enough that it isn't brushing too hard against the bottom. It can wipe the nails off. Of you have to remove them each time you hear them hit...CLANK! TINK!

If they are actually on the surface, then you can get a strong magnet on wheels that you push around. I bought mine at harbor freight when I helped with a playground cleanup.

https://www.harborfreight.com/22-inch-magnetic-floor-sweeper-with-release-98399.html

I used it after my house was reroofed--after the roofers used theirs---and I picked up dozens more nails. Also handy to "sweep" the garage after a project, or to find any small metal pieces accidently dropped in carpet.

As far as detecting, I have used it a few times at permissions. Where it worked like a charm was a backyard with an old shed that had been torn down and replaced with a new one. I picked up a lot of old and new metal bits. But the ground was still dirt and I was able to set the sweeper height really low. If the ground is damp and the metal is pressed into it, then the magnet isn't going to be strong enough.

If there's thick grass, then you have to adjust the height high enough that it isn't brushing too hard against the bottom. It can wipe the nails off. Of you have to remove them each time you hear them hit...CLANK! TINK!

Yea that’s the think I mentioned, couldn’t remember what to call it lol, thanks buddy [emoji1303]

Back
Top Bottom