What can I try on this?

EmuDetector

Forum Supporter
So this coin (if it is one) is definitely shot. For the fun of it to find any detail, is there anything I can try? It measures at 1" and weighs in at almost 7 grams. I don't mind hurting it at this point. Found it in a Civil War area if anyone knows what coin it could be based on dimensions.

No idea what it might be, but it appears you couldn't make it any worse. I might try scrubbing it with 0000 fine steel wool under running water. That might bring out a bit of the metallic shine, and possibly an outline of detail.

No idea what it might be, but it appears you couldn't make it any worse. I might try scrubbing it with 0000 fine steel wool under running water. That might bring out a bit of the metallic shine, and possibly an outline of detail.

Thanks for the info, I might give it a shot.

I agree, you will need to use something abrasive, and any high spots should shine up first, hopefully giving you an outline of a bust, or SOMETHING to go by. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks guys! I tried a number of things, and it is toasted with a super faint sign of a bust. It does measure to the same size and weight as other Large Cents I ended up finding nearby (a couple days after I posted this).

Try this too. Lay a piece of aluminum foil on top of the coin. Then, with a soft rubber pencil eraser, press down on the foil over the entire area of the coin. Any bit of detail will rise and show itself in the foil. Stay away from dried up older erasers, as they are too hard and don't conform to the latent design below your foil.

To get a better idea of the potential of this method, try it on a newer coin with lots of detail and an older one that is VERY worn, but still identifiable.

Whatever methods you end up trying, please report back with results.

Jim

Try this too. Lay a piece of aluminum foil on top of the coin. Then, with a soft rubber pencil eraser, press down on the foil over the entire area of the coin. Any bit of detail will rise and show itself in the foil. Stay away from dried up older erasers, as they are too hard and don't conform to the latent design below your foil.

To get a better idea of the potential of this method, try it on a newer coin with lots of detail and an older one that is VERY worn, but still identifiable.

Whatever methods you end up trying, please report back with results.

Jim

Thanks for that, after trying a couple things I have found that the coin is just very smooth with nothing left. But it matches the size and weight of some large cents I found nearby. So I am going with another large cent for this one!

Back
Top Bottom