Just heard.

geo.

I just heard that White's has gone out of business. Does anyone out there know why this has happened? Thanks, geo.

I just heard that White's has gone out of business. Does anyone out there know why this has happened? Thanks, geo.

I had heard they were closing but don't remember if I had heard all the exact details as to why so I just did an online search and found this:

(quote)
Important Information from White's Electronics
June 18, 2020

To our valued White's Dealers-

This is a very difficult message to write, but the time has come for retirement from White's Electronics.

We are suspending manufacturing operations at our Sweet Home facility while we re-evaluate the future of the company. It is never easy to make these decisions, however, we are faced with the reality of intense competition in the industry and ongoing counterfeit instruments coming from China. Lastly, there have been critical material shortages since the Covid 19 shutdown that we now find insurmountable.

All of us here in Sweet Home are grateful for your service. We consider each you part of the White's extended family.

Sincerely,

Ken White
(end of quote)

Covid? Parts shortages due to covid? Inside turmoil?

They went under just TWO days after I bought my MXSport... I was so happy to be part of a "family" that unknowingly was breaking up... Had I known I would have went with a different company no doubt... But here I am swinging a brand new but now practically "obsolete" machine... I don't just get 700 bucks to toss around every other day... Gave my F19 to a friend... Wish I would have kept it now. I saved for a few years to buy this machine... I swing a machine for years before being able to afford a new one... How long will parts be available for my detector? They definitely aren't making new ones... Who can I talk to at "White's" that has a passion for and knows the machine inside and out? No one. Tell me your woes.... I was sooo upset... It's not like a classic car that will go up in value... It's no DeLorean. It's not a Corvette... In fact it's more of a "tank" lol. And in this instance it will be sooner than later that parts and service will dry up, become obsolete, and or completely unavailable...

When the Equinox 800 is a dinosaur I'll be able to afford one of them... I should have went with Minelab but the White's name had a certain quality about it. I wanted to be part of it... I was for a few days, and then they up and quit...:( IF and I mean IF I ever find a valuable ring or coin with this machine I'll be running to the coin shop and replacing it with a Minelab Equinox 6 or 800 - I don't think they are going away anytime soon and the text, videos, and knowledge about their machines online is almost overwhelming there is so much. Also the Eq.800 is what my best detectin' buddy uses and "usually" he absolutely TROUNCES me on good finds when we hunt together.

Sorry Whites but you left me after a VERY short kiss and an expensive engagement... I thought you were "the one".... Sure "!!!! happens" - but it always seems to happen to ME! FML as usual.

Last edited:
It’s really a shame but many companies are going bankrupt because of economic recession and guv-caused shutdowns. I’ve read that business failures will continue to accelerate even with the massive stimulus money being created and loaned out by the Fed Res.

Talk all you want about Whites closing down but leave the political talk for another forum as its against our rules..

Whites went down because they were behind in technology and could not compete with what is out there today.

Talk all you want about Whites closing down but leave the political talk for another forum as its against our rules..

Whites went down because they were behind in technology and could not compete with what is out there today.

Been a whites PI fan for decades. Even had a spectrum xlt when those came out. The secondary market is falling on these older machines. But real nice ones are commanding higher prices , but why ? When for just a few hundred more you can get a Nox or something. Many more businesses will continue to fall. And that's a good thing. Only the strong survive. Then you look at something like the Nokta Simplex. All those features for around $350. There's no way Whites could compete with something like that. I've got spare parts for my PI but when this thing finally goes , it will be a very sad day.

Good point, obviously Whites didn't want to include that in their letter :roll:

Been a whites PI fan for decades. Even had a spectrum xlt when those came out. The secondary market is falling on these older machines. But real nice ones are commanding higher prices , but why ? When for just a few hundred more you can get a Nox or something. Many more businesses will continue to fall. And that's a good thing. Only the strong survive. Then you look at something like the Nokta Simplex. All those features for around $350. There's no way Whites could compete with something like that. I've got spare parts for my PI but when this thing finally goes , it will be a very sad day.

Another good point !

I had heard they were closing but don't remember if I had heard all the exact details as to why so I just did an online search and found this:

(quote)
Important Information from White's Electronics
June 18, 2020

To our valued White's Dealers-

This is a very difficult message to write, but the time has come for retirement from White's Electronics.

We are suspending manufacturing operations at our Sweet Home facility while we re-evaluate the future of the company. It is never easy to make these decisions, however, we are faced with the reality of intense competition in the industry and ongoing counterfeit instruments coming from China. Lastly, there have been critical material shortages since the Covid 19 shutdown that we now find insurmountable.

All of us here in Sweet Home are grateful for your service. We consider each you part of the White's extended family.

Sincerely,

Ken White
(end of quote)

Guess what Whites? every detector mfg is faced with the realityi of intense competition. Same with !!!! metal detectors from china and supply chain issues. But Garrett and Minelab seem to be up to handling all of these challenges. Maybe you just waited to long to give your customers a Equinox, Apex or Vanquish type machine. BooHoo. Sorry that your lack of leadership let down your customers and employees.

This. ☝🏽

When I started metal detecting early this year, I did my extensive research on the different brands and machines, even had a pros and cons spreadsheet of the top good machines for each brand. Reading the features of White's machines never impressed me and it felt like they were left behind in terms of new technology. With the growing demand for newer technology and faster processing capabilities, being complacent can not be an option. It's sad that they did close but that's the reality of business. I'm honestly glad that at least Garrett is trying to keep up with the Apex but it still seems short but at least.

This. ☝🏽

When I started metal detecting early this year, I did my extensive research on the different brands and machines, even had a pros and cons spreadsheet of the top good machines for each brand. Reading the features of White's machines never impressed me and it felt like they were left behind in terms of new technology. With the growing demand for newer technology and faster processing capabilities, being complacent can not be an option. It's sad that they did close but that's the reality of business. I'm honestly glad that at least Garrett is trying to keep up with the Apex but it still seems short but at least.

^^ This ^^

There was a time, in the 1970s through the late 1990s, that any time you went to group hunts, 75% of the attendees would be swinging a Whites, of one sort or another. But by the early to mid 2000s, you'd notice that 75% of the attendees would be swinging a Minelab, of one sort or another. At least this is what I observed in CA (other locales might have been different ?)

And this change over the course of about 5 -ish yrs. came as a result of the Whites guys seeing their b*tts get kicked by their buddies. So they rushed out and got their own Minelabs. :roll:

Whites : R.I.P.

One major player releases a model (basically a new line given how different it is) while another shuts down, citing (partially) Covid-related supply shortages...

When I started metal detecting early this year, I did my extensive research on the different brands and machines, even had a pros and cons spreadsheet of the top good machines for each brand. Reading the features of White's machines never impressed me and it felt like they were left behind in terms of new technology...

I was more or less oblivious to hobby metal detecting until about 6? years ago. I guarantee you White's was the first brand I googled. Vaguely aware of Fisher or Garrett and what the heck is a Minelab??? White's was THE NAME in metal detecting for so long, they had the "household name" recognition any company strives for. They must have sat on their collective butts to lose so much ground to other manufacturers. I saw heavy, and/or expensive models, and _nothing_ that caught my attention from an entry-level point-of-view. They still had some fans, but clearly they weren't "it" anymore.

I was shocked when the dinosaur came out with the TRX pinpointer, I got one, I'm glad I did. Maybe there's hope for them staying relevant in this century...

But when I shopped for a higher level machine, I don't think White's even made the first cut. Maybe not.

Hate to see a US manufacturer close up shop though. :(

Covid? Parts shortages due to covid? Inside turmoil?

They went under just TWO days after I bought my MXSport... I was so happy to be part of a "family" that unknowingly was breaking up... Had I known I would have went with a different company no doubt... But here I am swinging a brand new but now practically "obsolete" machine... I don't just get 700 bucks to toss around every other day... Gave my F19 to a friend... Wish I would have kept it now. I saved for a few years to buy this machine... I swing a machine for years before being able to afford a new one... How long will parts be available for my detector? They definitely aren't making new ones... Who can I talk to at "White's" that has a passion for and knows the machine inside and out? No one. Tell me your woes.... I was sooo upset... It's not like a classic car that will go up in value... It's no DeLorean. It's not a Corvette... In fact it's more of a "tank" lol. And in this instance it will be sooner than later that parts and service will dry up, become obsolete, and or completely unavailable...

When the Equinox 800 is a dinosaur I'll be able to afford one of them... I should have went with Minelab but the White's name had a certain quality about it. I wanted to be part of it... I was for a few days, and then they up and quit...:( IF and I mean IF I ever find a valuable ring or coin with this machine I'll be running to the coin shop and replacing it with a Minelab Equinox 6 or 800 - I don't think they are going away anytime soon and the text, videos, and knowledge about their machines online is almost overwhelming there is so much. Also the Eq.800 is what my best detectin' buddy uses and "usually" he absolutely TROUNCES me on good finds when we hunt together.

Sorry Whites but you left me after a VERY short kiss and an expensive engagement... I thought you were "the one".... Sure "!!!! happens" - but it always seems to happen to ME! FML as usual.

They will still service thier machines..

Now that White’s has closed the factory in Sweet Home, these are the officially designated places to have warranty work and service done:

Centreville Electronics (East Coast)
9437 Main Street
Manassas, VA 20110
(888) 645-0202
(703) 367-7999
Fax: (703) 367-0868
[email protected]
www.centrevilleelectronics.net

Centreville Electronics Northwest (West Coast)
1550 Maple Pl.
Lebanon Oregon 97355
(541)409-7263
www.centrevilleelectronicsnw.com
[email protected]

Canada

Ed Sebulski
21920 44A Avenue
Langley, British Columbia,
Canada V3A 9J3
604-532-8153

Use this Service Center for Older Water Detectors

Specializing in repairing legacy White’s water detectors. Please call for other repairs.

Warren’s Repair Center
Freeport, Florida
(850) 835-3344
[email protected]

Europe

At last report the White’s facility in Scotland is still open and accepting items for service:

White’s Electronics (UK) Ltd
35J Harbour Road
Inverness
Scotland
IV1 1UA

Email: [email protected]
UK Customers: 01463 223 456
International Customers: +44 1463 223 456

They have been in business serving our community for half a century, cut him some slack, he wants to retire already....

Back
Top Bottom