How to clean iron objects ? Here is some cheep method

relicteurww2

Hello friends, colleagues, hysteria hunters.
Certainly, many of you have found an interesting iron object and were thinking about cleaning it. I found these horseshoes. I am not saying this cleaning procedure is the best, it is lengthy, but it is cheap and the chemicals are readily available in all stores around the world and for little money.
Because the video only has captions in Czech. Here I will briefly describe the procedure and the necessary ingredients. More can be captured from the video. Alternatively, I can answer the questions here.
What will we need ?
Suitable container into which to place the object to be cleaned.
Vinegar 8% about 2 liters depending on the size and quantity of items to be cleaned.
The object needs to be completely submerged in vinegar.
Furthermore, baking soda to neutralize the acid.
And silicone oil best sprayed to preserve purified and neutralized metal.
How to do it ? Place the object in a suitable container and pour 8% vinegar over it, set aside and leave for a few days. In a few days (week)
remove the object and clean it with a metal wire brush. Put it back in the vinegar bath.
Leave again for a few days and repeat the procedure with a wire brush and vinegar until the vinegar bath remains light and no more iron oxides are released.
Then rinse the object with warm water and put it back in the container and sprinkle with one soda to neutralize the acetic acid residue. Let it work for about 2 hours.
Remove the baking soda from the bath, rinse with warm water, dry and clean the cleaned iron object with silicone oil. I use WD - 40, which also uses the army for weapons.
This procedure is quite lengthy, but it is very cheap and simple and will achieve relatively satisfactory results.
Here is the video procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB7iKI4GtuM

I apologize for English if there is any mistake :-)

Attachments

• SnapShot.jpg
    SnapShot.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 602
  • SnapShot1.jpg
    SnapShot1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 606
  • SnapShot2.jpg
    SnapShot2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 631
Thanks! I found my first complete horseshoe last week and have been wondering how to clean it.

Thanks! I found my first complete horseshoe last week and have been wondering how to clean it.

Congratulation ! You can try this method, its cheep and easy, but need long time ( some days - its about how much oxidation item have ) . Happy hunt :detector:

Back
Top Bottom