Door knocking hasn't worked for me.

shedigz

Elite Member
I've been denied every time I door knocked so I stopped and just go to parks and schools mostly.

The house my mother grew up in was sold many years ago and I thought for sure I would get this permission. I took along copies of pictures of my mom, grandparents and uncle outside on the porch or in the yard and some of me when I was little thinking that some history of their home might be interesting to the new owners.

I'm in my 40's and a man younger than I am answered the door. When I told him that my mother grew up in this house and I would like to metal detect the yard. He got an attitude with me. I tried to show him the pictures I brought along and he grabbed them out of my hands and looked at them . While looking at them he was shaking his head yes so I thought he was going to say yes. He handed me the pics back and threatened to call the cops unless I left. So I did.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

If you research,there are a few excellent threads on here about door knocking.
It is usually best to start in your neighborhood.

Sounds a a real piece of (FMDF rule violation word). Bring a 12 pack of beer next time. Then beat him over the head with it.

Holy #@%$, you were not wearing anything offensive, like a Grim Reaper outfit .

Threaten to call the cops just for knocking on the door and asking?

It’s the world we live in today.

Yep, from trespassers, thieves, sue-happies, to those who feel entitled to whatever, people are tired of it, and it's just easier to say no. Take no as a no, but don't take it personal.

The world's full of scammers these days. Is posing as an MD'r going to an extreme? Possibly, but there are scams much more elaborate as a way to scope-out someone's property for theft.

Look more into crop fields, empty lots, etc for evidence of old dwellings. These properties are much easier to gain permission for. Find some old plat maps for your area, and learn how to do a Google Earth overlay.

Sounds a a real piece of (FMDF rule violation word). Bring a 12 pack of beer next time. Then beat him over the head with it.

I recommend a six pack. Of bottles! Beating someone with cans is never as effective.

Bummer deal on the door knocking. I don’t have the personality to even try it.

I've been denied every time I door knocked so I stopped and just go to parks and schools mostly.

The house my mother grew up in was sold many years ago and I thought for sure I would get this permission. I took along copies of pictures of my mom, grandparents and uncle outside on the porch or in the yard and some of me when I was little thinking that some history of their home might be interesting to the new owners.

I'm in my 40's and a man younger than I am answered the door. When I told him that my mother grew up in this house and I would like to metal detect the yard. He got an attitude with me. I tried to show him the pictures I brought along and he grabbed them out of my hands and looked at them . While looking at them he was shaking his head yes so I thought he was going to say yes. He handed me the pics back and threatened to call the cops unless I left. So I did.

this whole door knocking thing must be a regional thing because if I tried this in my neighborhood /area I would be sent packing quickly , I live in the Miami fl area and I guarantee you would be looked at as someone up to something .why would I let someone onto my property to dig holes and walk away with any valuables found?

this whole door knocking thing must be a regional thing because if I tried this in my neighborhood /area I would be sent packing quickly , I live in the Miami fl area and I guarantee you would be looked at as someone up to something .why would I let someone onto my property to dig holes and walk away with any valuables found?

Same mentality here and I'm in central FL born and raised in Miami.

Unless it's someone you know why would a stranger let another stranger on their property accepting any liability to damage and injury the detectionist might do. On top of that knowing they are looking for valuables and ok with letting them take it.

Southern hospitality is a made up thing from the North.

I don't really bother asking random strangers to detect their land.

I've had a few success stories door knocking but I do get a lot of no's....most of the time in a nice way. I haven't been threatened with the cops yet. A lot of my "permissions" are from folks I know or friends of folks I know. Unfortunately my permissions haven't really produced much as far as "treasure".

HDD

I really don't like knocking on doors myself. Today I decided to give a try since the lady owned property in a old ghost town. She told me "absolutely not!!! If I find anyone on that property, I will call the police!!!" So that pretty much ended my day of door knocking...

Yikes! Miami? Why, I’d rather live in Detroit! :?:

Same mentality here and I'm in central FL born and raised in Miami.

Unless it's someone you know why would a stranger let another stranger on their property accepting any liability to damage and injury the detectionist might do. On top of that knowing they are looking for valuables and ok with letting them take it.

Southern hospitality is a made up thing from the North.

I don't really bother asking random strangers to detect their land.
It’s all about personality. We Americans have forgotten how, brainwashed by TV. Project a pleasant personality and a good intro, and you’ll go miles. I’ve knocked on over 50 doors, I get a yes almost every time. Even when I have a buddy with me.

It’s all about personality. We Americans have forgotten how, brainwashed by TV. Project a pleasant personality and a good intro, and you’ll go miles. I’ve knocked on over 50 doors, I get a yes almost every time. Even when I have a buddy with me.
I put my best foot forward when I knocked on that door. I was polite and dressed neatly. I still got the boot.

Don't knock on the door. If you see old folks sitting on the porch within a block or 2 of the park, stop and ask if they know the history of the park, that you are a metal detectorist and want to know what was there before the park. Old folks love to tell you they remember when it was all corn fields. Ask about old swimming holes and gathering spots. If they are still talking to you after a couple minutes, you ask if their yard has ever been detected. No, and you would love to see what might be around that tree or curbstrip, some small area, Yes and you have the newest, bestest equipment and want to see what they missed. I'm batting about .300 on permissions and .500 on lemonade, ice tea, or coffee, even the no's have gave me some good info.
I don't have near as much luck with younger folk. I have caught some young couples doing serious landscaping and asked if they wanted to see what might be in the yard while it's all tore-up.

Back
Top Bottom