• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Interesting research

CarsonChris

Elite Member
One of the first places I detected I found noted on an old map but never knew it was even there. It was a small rail town/siding. I found out the town was founded by a thief that was involved in the Great Train robbery in Verdi, NV. They stole $41,600 off the train. This man testified against the gang that robbed the train so he was let off of charges. At some point he sells the property where the little town/siding is to his son that is also involved in thieving. The son robs a stage coach. At this point the railroad decides to close the siding because they don’t want their name muddied up by the thieves.

Name of town withheld because I’m going to go back to it.

One of the first places I detected I found noted on an old map but never knew it was even there. It was a small rail town/siding. I found out the town was founded by a thief that was involved in the Great Train robbery in Verdi, NV. They stole $41,600 off the train. This man testified against the gang that robbed the train so he was let off of charges. At some point he sells the property where the little town/siding is to his son that is also involved in thieving. The son robs a stage coach. At this point the railroad decides to close the siding because they don’t want their name muddied up by the thieves.

Name of town withheld because I’m going to go back to it.

Good luck buddy sounds like a true treasure. If you find it keep quiet and cash it out slowly lol Best of luck!

Chris, if you ever really wanted to hunt for caches you suspect (d/t stories like this), then here's one thing I would suggest :

Get a TM 808. Because standard machines ....... EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE PERFECTLY CAPABLE OF JAR AND TOASTER SIZED OBJECTS, will lull you into passing such "junk".

What I mean is: In standard coin and relic hunting, with standard machines, we all tend to grow accustomed to junk versus coins, right ? So, for example, the coin/relic tends to pass junk all the time . Durned that hubcab. Or durned that sprinkler head. Or durned that giant rusty something that's giving an iron-reject, etc....

But a TM-808 simply doesn't find anything smaller than a soda can. Yup, kiss those pesky singular coins, rings, etc.... goodbye. You ONLY find objects that are soda can or larger size.

And I know full-well the notion that "well gee, I'll just use my standard machine, and only dig the larger beeps". But in actual practice, it never works out that way. You end up spending all your time trying to second guess big vs small, and digging tons of them "just to be sure". And before you know it, you're subconsciously lured into coin-hunting, not cache hunting.

This isn't to say I put any stock into the "train robbery legends" . But just saying, if caches are someone's objective, and if they're in a junky site, then a 2-box machine is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom