Prizm II

Ray Whidbey Island

New to the group so Hi all really enjoy reading all of the posts. I am also new to MD. Just got my first detector for Christmas and have done a little playing. Is there any fast and easy rule for setting the sensitivity....could not really find any solid information in the book or on Whites web site. So far a few clad coins and a Tootsie Toy die cast car at about 5" in the back yard.....to me a great find..since house is a single owner with no kids....

Welcome to the forum and hobby Ray. Darn glad to have you aboard. The preset sensitity is good and works well. Sometimes I will set the sensitivity as high as I can without the detector become erratic, giving false signals.

I run mine as high as possible but mostly around 6. I will run it up to 8 and if I start getting too many false signals, I will back it down to 6. Also I have found that you have to be carefull on rings as they will ID as pure pull tabs when I put one on the ground to test. That is probably why I am not finding any. There is a lot to be said about digging everything.
pop

Had to laugh

Ray,

First of all welcome to the forum....New to MD'ing myself....Funny thing is though, my very first find was a Tootsie Toy die cast car in my yard about 3 inches deep.... I did a google on them and found some can be worth a couple of dollars, depending on condition....My was a dragster but the nose was all bent and it was missing the front set of wheels....Good luck with the hobby....

Prizm

HI Ray welcome to the forum.I am new to it myself,and coincidently just ordered a Prizm.Should be here tomorrow,I ordered it from Clevengers in KC MO.
Iv,e bought several detectors from them in the past and their delivery is FAST,ussualy 1or 2 days by ups.
So anyway regarding the Prizm I hope you will share tips with us as you learn as I will,and Be sure to show us your finds.
Happy Hunting,Mont

Pizm(4)

Yesterday we got some spotty rain,then overcast.
When I had an eagle 2,and later a spectrum that was always a good time to hunt as I could get deeper signals.Also All three of the gold rings I found were on such days,but My Prizm seemed extremely irratic so had to turn sensitivity down but it didn,t help Much.
I would get a good signal but not continuous so I had to vary my search speed on a regular basis sometimes Whipping other times crawl speed.
target ID seemed just about useless,I dug up a lot of nails,but also 78cents no silver but 3 wheaties at about 6" .
Could it Be ground mineralization?
Also I don,t understand why gold seems to have an affinity to wet ground as it does not leach as other metals do.
Or maybe just a coincidence?

Ray Whidbey Island said:
New to the group so Hi all really enjoy reading all of the posts. I am also new to MD. Just got my first detector for Christmas and have done a little playing. Is there any fast and easy rule for setting the sensitivity....could not really find any solid information in the book or on Whites web site. So far a few clad coins and a Tootsie Toy die cast car at about 5" in the back yard.....to me a great find..since house is a single owner with no kids....

RAY... I would put the sensitivity to max then back it off 1 or 2 notches. you can use max sensitivity if you are not getting any interference from the ground or electrical sources. if you start getting erratic sounds then back it off anotch. another thing...... somewhere dow the road you will be happier with a detector that gives depth readings. really makes metal detecting a lot more fun

Prizm4

Been using prizm for 2 weeks now and can say I like.very easy to learn and target id is fairly accurate.Still dig up pulltabs but on retrospect I usually could tell.nickel and tabs will fool most any detector i guess.
Have problems with chooped cans as any detetcor would.I get my best depth using no disc,use audio disc and look at the meter.Depth seems good finding pennies and dimes at 6-8".only complaint is it falses if i bottom it or change sweep direction ubruptly.and balance would be improved with the 950 coil that comes standard on the Prizm5.Very easy to use but I prefer something more adaptable so am trading for an XLT

"somewhere dow the road you will be happier with a detector that gives depth readings. really makes metal detecting a lot more fun"

I couldn't agree more macdaddy. I'm just starting out and bought a II, and love it by the way, but a week later my dad bought an MXT. Now I wish i had spent a few hundred extra bucks and bought one a lot more serious.

I bought a Prizm II about a year ago. I have had a few problems with it but I think this can be attributed to my lack of experiance. Many of the posts I have read indicate that the Prizm is good for begginners.

Back
Top Bottom