Strange readings? Obscure phenomona?

Firewhiz

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

While hunting in a friends yard, I noticed a strange interference on my MXT in coin mode, narrowed it down to about 50 meters away underground from what I can tell around 3 to 5 feet. There are no buried power lines in the entire area, and all cable tv is strung overhead. Has anyone ever heard of or heard this before? I switched modes but it was the worst in coin mode. (It was present in all modes.) Settings as follows.....

Gain-0 Disc-9 Threshold-1, Ground set to ground. Yet I STILL heard this noise. Even after dumping all the controls, I could hold my machine stationary above this "target" and watch the different types metal id bounce around in a pattern, is sounded like it would repeat around 20-30 times then change to a different pattern. Not a high mineral soil area, just standard clay/dirt for Wisconsin. A friend suggested an underground rock formation that was reflecting my own field, but from 50 yards away? Point the coil up in the air and it's still present, gradually to the ground and it gets louder. I am clueless and in the dark, now my friend thinks he has a UFO on his lotline. I told him to grant them an easement, but he didn't get it. Oh well, any thoughts? Thanks much in advance.

HH as always,

Bri-

Some type of radio transmitter or RF generation that produces a "skywave". These types of waves bounce from the ground, skyward, and down again. The signal being stronger at the ground may be due to the wave hitting the ground before being reflected. Location at ground level is somewhat stationary.

Firewhiz said:
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

While hunting in a friends yard, I noticed a strange interference on my MXT in coin mode, narrowed it down to about 50 meters away underground from what I can tell around 3 to 5 feet.  There are no buried power lines in the entire area, and all cable tv is strung overhead.  Has anyone ever heard of or heard this before?  I switched modes but it was the worst in coin mode.  (It was present in all modes.)  Settings as follows.....

Gain-0  Disc-9  Threshold-1,  Ground set to ground.  Yet I STILL heard this noise.  Even after dumping all the controls, I could hold my machine stationary above this "target" and watch the different types metal id bounce around in a pattern,  is sounded like it would repeat around 20-30 times then change to a different pattern.  Not a high mineral soil area, just standard clay/dirt for Wisconsin.  A friend suggested an underground rock formation that was reflecting my own field, but from 50 yards away?  Point the coil up in the air and it's still present, gradually to the ground and it gets louder.  I am clueless and in the dark, now my friend thinks he has a UFO on his lotline.  I told him to grant them an easement, but he didn't get it.  Oh well, any thoughts?  Thanks much in advance.

HH as always,

Bri-

it seems you've been running into that "X-files" stuff alot over there havent you... :?:

I run into the weirdest, i mean yesterday, I hunted an older house that got bought by a local quarry, hunted for 3 hours, pulled up at least 10 pounds of iron ranging from stove knob to door knob plate to a horse shoe right next door to it. Clad? One 1991 dime, so I guess lady luck is out galavanting about the countryside, but not my part of the countryside....lol

About the signal, I called the local electric/gas company up here, they confirmed they use nothing that puts out a frequency range anywhere near what my MD uses. I've searched here and there looking for signal emitting isotopes, or anything else for that matter. Without a broad-based frequency counter, i really can't pinpoint what it is or where it's coming from. I have a shortwave radio and i'm going to give that a shot with adjusting the gains and filters....... Other than that I don't have/won't buy a whole bunch of geographical survey equipment to figure out what it is. Maybe the University of WI may have some interest, or Milwaukee school of engineering. Oh well, as far as the x-files thing, i'd rather be finding gold, silver and clad files than x-files...lol

HH as always,

Bri-

There weren't any power lines for at least 100 yards in any direction, this signal was clearly coming from the ground. I may ask the neighbor for permission to get a reading through her basement walls, see if anything turns up....... It's probably Osama ordering a pizza and a bag of frito's for all I know..... maybe chinese take out?

HH all,

Bri-

Can you hear a pattern in the signal? For instance when an air conditioner kicks on sometimes I can hear a pattern to the signal from the motor. It does sound like outside RF interference. Many times telephone/utility companies would abandon lines and install new ones, the line could be acting as an antenna from another source. Our telephone company runs overhead lines to the property line then buries it on the property, when I get near the buried telephone line I sometimes pick up interference; not a strong signal but enough to make things annoying.

With it changing patterns it almost has to be manmade and not natural occuring. The shortwave sounds like a good start...good luck and keep us updated.

Another thought I just had. I once ran into 120 V. comming thru the ground wires in a customers home while installing an undercabinet microwave during a kitchen renovation. I told them to bring in an electrician. He found a buried wire outside that used to go to a lamp post that no longer existed. The line was cut and was still energized. It was not properly terminated, just bare wires.

Maybe an abandoned electrical line still throwing off juice. It could even be in another location, but have enough juice to screw things up at a distance.

I was debating that with an electrician friend last night, if an arc would have enough to make a reading like that. At this point I think im going to let the electric company have a look, as opposed to probing around the ground with a brass stick....lol After they get done out there, I have ho idea, maybe some emails to a few professors?

Bri-

its gotta be a ghost man. probably someone murdered long ago or a witch burned at the stake just saying hello. I once dug up a ring with the finger still attached!!!!! yuck!!! it could be osama however, or all the other terrorist cowards we've waxed these past few years still trying to act mean and tough. :lol:

You might want to start digging using pick and shovel. Whatever it is could be deep mayby even 60 ft.

:lol: If it is Osama, :mad: :mad: :mad: i'll slap the bejesus out of him with my 5 foot electrified lollipop then bash him with the headphones. I'm not saying anything as to where the pinpointer is going, :lol: :lol: but i'll leave it to the imagination. If it is a ghost, :shock: they won't mind if I grabbed the ring, they don't need it anywhooo furthermore. If it be on of them there union ghosts, i'll swipe it while he's on a break... :lol: If it's a UFO, well i'm sorry but their parked on private property and it'll have to be towed. Probaly gets better milage than my car. So whatever it is, either or any way, it's all good.... :grin: :grin: :grin:

HH as always,

Bri-

Forget it and spend some time hunting and learning the MXT. That's what the hobby is about. :roll: Rob

I was hunting around a newly built Pavalion in a park today.

Lots of underground power lines and such around.

Long story short my detector was literally going crazy over "ghosts" in the ground that I attribute to eather electro-magnetic or RF frequencies comming off of the underground power lines.

PS I was as far away ar 30-40 feet from them and still geting weird signals.

Back
Top Bottom