• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Coin Books?

Prof011067

Can any of you suggest a good reference book for coin identification?  Specifically I am interested in silver and gold sunken treasure coins. (COB, Reales, Pieces of Eight, etc...)  I'd like to find a comprehensive book to help identify and gauge the value of these coins.  It would be nice if the book had pictures for reference and a writeup abut the mint and such...

Thanks!

Going for the good stuff, huh? ;) I'll add to your wish list and ask for a book on Colonial coppers/coins.

Good Huntin

Yes indeed.  I am thinking I will be a "coin shooter" and as such I have started to develop an interest in Spanish silver and gold coins.  PLUS if I find some it would be nice to have the ability to sit down and do some research on whatever I find (If I am so lucky) so a reference book with coin pictures, history and value would be excellent.  I have found one book on Amazon, it runs about $125 ... before I invest that kind of money on a reference book I want to make sure I am getting exactly what I need.  So far the coin books I have seen are not cheap! :)

You might try the libarary, or go to a book store and check out the selection then check out prices online for the ones that look good for what you need

Vern2sjc

A really excellent book for identifying coins from any part of the world is 'The Coin Atlas' by Timewarner Books.
Won't give prices, but they change all the time. Price is about $20 but remainder bookshops often have it for $6

For world coins, Krause has some books that may be of interest and are about as comprehensive as you will get. I have the volumes covering the years 1601-1700, 1701-1800, 1801-1900, and 1901-present.

There is also a Krause book covering US tokens. Regular US coins wouldn't be hard to identify, so the annual R.S. Yeoman "Red Book" is cheap and covers modern US, along with a lot of the colonial/revolutionary times.

For ancient/medieval coins, you can kiss "comprehensive" goodbye.  :grin:

-- Tom

Brain,

Excellent suggestion. I found several online and ordered one tonight. Can't wait to see if it has what I need :)

Tom -

Your suggestion on the Krause books was right on the money.  Just exactly what I was looking for.... thanks!   :yes:

i have a kraus book i use for pricing my coin collection. i also have a whole book dedicted to canadian coins. this is very helpfull because canada minted about 5,000,000,000,000,000 different coins in the 1800's.

Back
Top Bottom