Prizm's & Nickels

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
Hi I was wondering if anyone with a Prizm series detector has ever found a nickel? I have had a Prizm II for alittle while now and have never found a nickel with it. All nickel signals are always a soda can pull tab. I have tried all different disc. settings with same results.Maybe mine is allergic to nickels! Thanks! Steve.

Steve if your getting pull tabs then nickels will follow. One thing I have noticed over the years. Nickel and gold signals in the nickel range are very narrow signals. High trash producing lots of audio signals and to fast a swing will make you miss these small signals.
Good luck, you will hit one yet probably gold before nickel. Maybe reassess your hunting style to hear these better. Sometimes a small adjustment will payoff.

I have found a bunch of nickles with my Prizm II. Course it could be a ring or pultab so I dig most all.
pop

Just a hunch, but I have a feeling you did find a nickel today.

Oh and btw. With my prizm, if I want to find nickels, I must dig and hope for the best. I have the same issue. But it's a necessity, if I want a shot at a ring.

I've had my prism-V 3 days now and have the same problem. Although I think i'm mastering the learning curve with the settings. I get a definate "beep" thats repeatable and strong when I have a coin. I went to the beach today and gave up though after getting pull-tab readings every 2 feet or less. I discriminated it out and got nothing after that. Way to much trash in the area. After walking the beach and getting no signals with the iron, foil, and pull-tab notched out I quit after an hour. I guess it comes down to knowing your machine and how to use it in a variety of areas.

Doug

I have a prizm IV .I have found some Nickels with it .Just the other day a 1910 Nickel I have also dug a ton of pull taps I love my prizm I also have a BH

I've had a Prizm V for over a year and have found plenty of nickels, including several buffalo nickels.  I look for the solid nickel reading, and yes you will dig a lot of pop tops too!  A side note-most of the rings I find show up as a penny.

I know exactly what you mean. I have a Prizm III and when it says a nickel, it could be a nickel, a pull tab, or a ring. I've also gotten a ring when it said a penny or dime, and also when it said pull tab!!! Go figure!!

The other evening, in a park, I found a sterling ring with a dark green stone in it, very long and marquis shaped stone. Then I found a cache of about a dozen coins buried about 3-4 inches. There were quarters, dimes, nickels. Then a Susan B. Anthony appeared that showed as a quarter!

I also have a new Ace 250 that I haven't used yet.

Scarlett aka Scrltt641

Scrltt641 said:
I know exactly what you mean.  I have a Prizm III and when it says a nickel, it could be a nickel, a pull tab, or a ring.  I've also gotten a ring when it said a penny or dime, and also when it said pull tab!!!  Go figure!!

The other evening, in a park, I found a sterling ring with a dark green stone in it, very long and marquis shaped stone.  Then I found a cache of about a dozen coins buried about 3-4 inches.  There were quarters, dimes, nickels.  Then a Susan B. Anthony appeared that showed as a quarter!

I also have a new Ace 250 that I haven't used yet.

Scarlett aka Scrltt641
Hi Scrltt641,I traded in a Ace250 for my Prizm II. Not sure which one I liked the best.I do like the pinpointing on the Prizm better but I started getting it down pat on the Ace after awhile.Both machines are pretty good for their cost. Would really like to hear what your opinions are of the Ace250 & the Prizm III comparison's.I was told that the Ace is alittle deeper than the Prizm. Steve.

Found a ring the other night and the screen was flashing between nickel and pop top so it pays to dig when it says nickel!

I have had my Prizm III since Father's Day 2005. I keep detailed records of my coin finds and out of 1,188 total coins found so far, 226 of them have been nickels (which is almost 1 out of every 5).

The nickel ratio has not always been as high as it currently is, however. There was a time for me, as well, when nickels were the least found coin (now it is 2nd only to the cent). As any Prizm owner knows, the factory has a default setting that the machine goes to when it is first turned on, and this setting works well for all coins except the nickels--for the most part they seem to be discriminated out, or do not give off a repeatable signal. By turning the discriminator down by 1 notch, I have turned my detector into a nickel finding machine.

In a different post a few days ago I explained how that after I made this slight adjustment I re-detected a piece of ground I had gone over in times past and out of 114 additional coins found, 44 of them were nickels. That's better than 1 out of every 3. Again, though, my nickel average seems to be settling into the 20% range. I believe the nickels are out there, but just as others before me have explained, you will have to dig those pull tabs as well. There's no way around it! Good luck!

- Harley-Dog

Back
Top Bottom