Ace 350 false readings..

pros3lyte

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had any issues with Garrett's Ace 350 giving false readings.

The last 3 hunts or so I've noticed that I'll get lots of hits for dimes/quarters, but 90% of the time I dig a penny. I'm not really digging more than 4-6 inches, and sensitivity is set to 3 notches from max (manual says 2 notches from max is best for general hunting, so I'm 1 notch less sensitive to avoid trash/deep pipes and stuff)

Anyways, I always hunt on coin mode, but I'm noticing a ton of misreading, where I'll hit really high silver and then dig up a nail. That happens quite often as well. but the pennies coming up as dimes and quarters is most often.

Battery life shows full. And I'm digging normally in dark Southern Michigan soil.

Any help would be appreciated!

Older copper pennies actually show up as .10/.25 on my 350. Found this out after being in a rush, due to darkness and notching out the penny icon. Now I just notch out pennies, avoiding rotten zincolns, while still be able to detect wheat's and Indians...

Hey Pros3lyte, welcome to the forum!:gottaluv:
Anyway,:back2topic:
In my opinion, you got a really good detecter :yes:
As far as rusty nails showing in the higher tones? Has happened on mine also, I think it has something to do with the rust? I have read this happening on higher priced machines to.
As far as false readings go, my be caused by over/under ground powerlines, soil conditions or maybe your not digging deep enough???;)
Dime signals and finding a PENNY:no:. Happens all the time, I think it's do to the size!
I hunt mostly on jewlery mode/ 4or5 bars of sens. and (DIG IT ALL).
Think you just got to learn your machine, if you don't have a pinpointer? GET ONE!
Hope this helps, can't wait to see you posting pics. of your finds.GL

Thanks for the welcome!!

Okay Whew! I thought maybe I had gotten a lemon!

I do have a pinpointer, and I'll never again hunt without one. Actually a propointer and I'm super impressed with how rugged that baby is!

But that answers my question. I figured it was something along those lines, but I wanted to check and make sure.

That's a good idea Got Da, Maybe i'll discrim pennies as well, considering most of those I find are so corroded they aren't worth anything anyways. I didn't realize Indian heads and wheaties show up in the .10/.25 range though. That's interesting! I'll have to give that discrim. a shot!

Oh and Dirtfshn, I'm thinking about picking up that sniper coil for my 350 as well. Would you say its worth the $75? Does it make coinshooting a lot easier?

Thanks for the welcome!!

Okay Whew! I thought maybe I had gotten a lemon!

I do have a pinpointer, and I'll never again hunt without one. Actually a propointer and I'm super impressed with how rugged that baby is!

But that answers my question. I figured it was something along those lines, but I wanted to check and make sure.

That's a good idea Got Da, Maybe i'll discrim pennies as well, considering most of those I find are so corroded they aren't worth anything anyways. I didn't realize Indian heads and wheaties show up in the .10/.25 range though. That's interesting! I'll have to give that discrim. a shot!

Oh and Dirtfshn, I'm thinking about picking up that sniper coil for my 350 as well. Would you say its worth the $75? Does it make coinshooting a lot easier?

Glad your a little more at ease! As for the sniper coil, its awesome in garbage infested areas. It's probably worth the retail price, but I picked a fairly new one up from a member on here in (for sale or trade section) Got it for 60.00.:D
Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom