First day out with the Excal 1000

Chuck D

Ok, so I have my first 8 hrs under my belt with the Excal 1000. Here are my thoughts:

1. I spent 6 hrs on the beach and found a lot of spare change (excuse my lack of proper terminology :laughing: ). I was really happy with the depth I was finding them at.

2. I ran PP for quite a while and dug everything for two hours. That got OLD as there is so much trash on the beach.. even the secluded beach i was at. So I switched to Discrim, setting "1" and stopped getting random nails and iron.

3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am very happy that I dug up a ton of pulltabs and cigarette foil and bottle caps. It is my understanding many of these items can 'read' as gold so I feel this is a good sign I'm hearing correctly.

4. The Excal 1000 also fared very well on dry land out in the desert. I pretty much knew almost exactly what was under my feet after a minimum of use.

5. This weekend I plan on hitting the busiest So Cal beaches twice and seeing how much better my results can be.

6. Thank you ALL for all your help and support in me getting to just this point with my new favorite toy. I cant wait to get on to my future hunts.

Spare change = clad ;)

After you learn what things sound like especially bottle caps you won't dig many of them anymore unless its deep and if they are deep the gold is way deeper.

Congrats on your first outing with the 1000.

LOL.. only $2. It was a pretty secluded beach. Two quarters, a nickel, some dimes and plenty of pennies.

dont forget if you discriminate your chances of finding Platinum are slim... I disc on land as well. cant deal with all the garbage!!! Congrats and good luck!

But if I run in PP wont I be digging up every old target? Forgive my ignorance.. I'm learning...

But if I run in PP wont I be digging up every old target? Forgive my ignorance.. I'm learning...

Yes sir... Its a pain in the @$$ most of the time but sometimes it pays off.

LOL.. only $2. It was a pretty secluded beach. Two quarters, a nickel, some dimes and plenty of pennies.

Ive put maybe 12 hours onto mine and am enjoying the learning process. The tones are still tricky for me. What I thought was a pulltab hi actually was a green nickel. What was a low tone turned out to be a deep quarter.

Ive put maybe 12 hours onto mine and am enjoying the learning process. The tones are still tricky for me. What I thought was a pulltab hi actually was a green nickel. What was a low tone turned out to be a deep quarter.

Yep, I am loving it. I'm already thinking about Friday and Saturday evening's beach hunts at crowded beaches. Really looking fwd to it.

Yep, I am loving it. I'm already thinking about Friday and Saturday evening's beach hunts at crowded beaches. Really looking fwd to it.

Just wait until you find your first gold!! What a feeling!!!

The second time out with my excal ll few years ago I found a 14k gold diamond ring. just about shat myself. lol :laughing: :laughing:

Yeah man.. I told my son if he's out there with me when it happens DONT be jumping up and down acting crazy. Try to be calm. Keep it together. :)

Yeah man.. I told my son if he's out there with me when it happens DONT be jumping up and down acting crazy. Try to be calm. Keep it together. :)

lucky for me it was a night hunt late at night so nobody was around. but yeah keep it cool. :D

Chuck clean up behind some of those spring breakers fixing to hit the beach.If you can hunt at night in the low wet sand.Also in Cali. you may find some spots where the sand washes away to the rock.Got a friend who even finds gold in the cracks:D

Nice first hunt, congrats on the new detector!
Excal is a seriously good machine, learn it well and it will reward you... I like to run my threshold just and i mean just barely audible and the volume way up, say 3 o'clock, this helps bring out the faint little targets...
I know this kind of sounds silly but what helps me is to setup my detector in a quiet out of the way spot in my house and wave different targets near the coil and get used to the sounds. Close your eyes and concentrate.
After you've gotten used to the big obvious sounds start waving the targets further and further away from the coil until they JUST make a sound...THOSE are the tough ones... Get used to those faint sounds and you'll be amazed at what you can find and at what depth...

HH!

dont forget if you discriminate your chances of finding Platinum are slim... I disc on land as well. cant deal with all the garbage!!! Congrats and good luck!
You confused me here. Do I read if you use disc mode finding plat is slim or do you mean if you turn up the disc to any setting higher than zero...? I read that if you do not use PP mode your chances are slim.

You confused me here. Do I read if you use disc mode finding plat is slim or do you mean if you turn up the disc to any setting higher than zero...? I read that if you do not use PP mode your chances are slim.

Got it backwards... sorry :p

Back
Top Bottom