Depth reading on an MXT....

Firewhiz

My question is this, since the manual for an MXT is so very detailed, when you pp an object, the depth reading you see is that distance from coil or distance from ground surface? With the coil 2 inches above ground, a 2 reading for my MXT equals 6 inches of digging. Is this normal or is something out of whack? Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated, thanks much in advance.... ;) ;) ;)

Bri-

It depends on the size and mass of the object being pinpointed. The depth meter is calibrated for coin size objects. A large object such as a beer can or large piece of iron will give a much stronger signal than a coin, therefore giving a shallower reading. I'm guessing you were digging some iron at that Nike site? If so don't worry it's normal and just something you learn to get used to. Hope this helps.

Good Huntin
Kevin M.

The range varies with the target, from my limited experience so far. That piece of iron measures 4.5 inches by 3 inches and about a half an inch thick, so it is a rather large piece. On other occasions, even with it above a coin that was 2 inches beneath surface, it went into overload. I guess it'll just take time to learn the machine a lot better than I don't know now. The MXT is a nice machine, but the padding on my panel already fell off, (2 days use) replaced it with the soft part of a velcro square. Now i'm looking for a bracket or something to keep it off the ground when I dig something.......

HH as always,

Bri-

I never had my MXT overload on a coin, where are you running your gain? If it overloaded on a object close to the surface it usually meant it was a piece iron or crushed can.

The depth gauge is just giving you an average depth the detector thinks its at, for instance say you find a water pipe and the detector says its 10 inches down its more likely a couple a feet down. When I detect I scrub my coil on the ground through out my swing I don't want to miss any deep whispers from targets so I wouldn't run my coil off the ground any inches.

Are you talking about the little rubber feet falling off the bottom of your control box? Just go to a hardware store amd buy a couple new ones.

I have had my MXT overload on a coin many times. Most of the time the coin is on top of the ground but on a few occasions I have had it do it when the coin was an inch deep. But alto of times here I can run the gain at +3 without a problem. I am lucky enough to get it locked in from the high 20's to the low 40's. I live in an area that has the most fertile black dirt on the planet. I'll post a pic sometime. :grin:

Firewhiz said:
My question is this, since the manual for an MXT is so very detailed, when you pp an object, the depth reading you see is that distance from coil or distance from ground surface?  With the coil 2 inches above ground, a 2 reading for my MXT equals 6 inches of digging.  Is this normal or is something out of whack?  Am I doing something wrong?  Any help would be appreciated, thanks much in advance.... ;) ;) ;)

Bri-

Bri,

The indicated depth (the smallest reading you get after carefully centering the coil and target), is the distance from coil surface to target. There are some caveats: It is calibrated to produce fairly accurate readings for coin sized targets and the stock 950 coil. If neither one of these conditions are true then the depth reading will not be accurate.

This is not an MXT specific issue, it is true of most detectors and you soon get used to it.

I overload on a surface coin every so often. I agree with Rudy about how the depth is measured. I hunt one field and the grass is a couple of inches thick. My coil is gliding on the grass surface. A 2" reading could be a surface coin.

I have a problem with some depth claims. I think some guys claim a 10" find but have the coil 3" above the ground. The coin then is really 6 or 7" deep. I know my MXT is deep but some guys are measuring wrong. Rob

My MXT has never overloaded on a coin. PP is usually pretty accurate on coins. Other objects however...

Those little rubber pads under the readout screen wore off soon after I bought my MXT also.  As far as the bracket stand is concerned I bought one directly from Whites for $4.95.

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/miscaccw.php

Attachments

• 502_0028bg.jpg
    502_0028bg.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 193
Back
Top Bottom