My skills need some serious refining......

F

Firewhiz911

Hey all, my name is Brian Sutter and i'm from Southeast Wisconsin. I've been hemming and hawing about buying one of these things for about a couple of years now..... After reading all of the reviews last night, I took a trip to a nearby Gander Mountain, took a look at a sharpshooter II and wasn't very impressed. Spun out of there and ended up at a hobby store not more than half a mile from my house. Looked at White's and happily went home with a MXT, a carrying bag and a set of their 20$ headphones. I love the detector but the headphones have got to go. I'm a dude with a tall head and those things are built for forth graders, (or someone with a smaller head.)

Anywhoo, I took myself and my spankin new MXT down to Menomonee Park in Lannon WI, which is kind of a unique place. It has a spring fed quarry with some history to it, an archery range and more than one-third of the entire park is renovated Nike Missle site # M-86. I found a few things but they are weird.... will post pics later. I looked at plans for the site and walked where the bay should be, sure enough..... 10 inches below the surface, I walked the bay and found the edges, with some iron hardware in between me and it. The archery range adjacent to it proved to be interesting, pulled 8 arrows out of the grass and a few pull tabs since I had no idea just what the hell I was doing.... NONE...lol I learned that carbon fiber will trigger in relic mode, which is kinda neat. Any advice would be appreciated. A little about me, i'm a photographer by hobby as well, some of my work can be seen at.... www.myspace.com/darkersideofsutter I'm a firefighter/emt and have been so for about 12 years now. Anyway, I LOVE the MXT and I think this hobby is going to stick for a VEEEEEERY loooooong time. I look forward to posting pictures when I discover Japan with a stock coil.....;)

Brian Sutter :grin:

Re: Newbie spends a few bucks, film at 11......

Welcome aboard Brian ! From my experience, you can't go wrong with a White's anything...we've got a lot of MXT users here..HH Roadrunner_426

Welcome Brain.

Look for the big trees. When I hunt a park the first thing I do is look for the oldest area. Big tress often point the way to the oldest area. Search around each tree being sure to overlap each swing. Also look for low spots in the ground and search them good.

Look forward to seeing some pictures.

welcome to the forum Brian , the more you use that machine the better it will treat ya . good luck huntin

Welcome to the forum and to the MXT Club! I got one as my first detector also. I knew I was going to love the hobby, so didn't fool around with a cheaper one to test the waters. I lived in Alaska for 7 yrs. and knew I'd be going back eventually, so the prospecting mode was a plus.

My best advice right now is don't stress out if the "noise" of the MXT gets a little confusing. Its a language that takes a little longer to learn than some other detectors but it's well worth the effort.

There are several of us here, so feel free to ask Q's. You can PM me also if you like. If you haven't already found it, here's a link to all MXT talk. Read as many of the old posts as you can.

http://www.findmall.com/list.php?25

Good Huntin

Welcome Brian, I'm not going to get into a discussion one which is the best set of earphones. A lot has to do with personal taste. I happen to have Rat Phones. I wear a larger hat and the better phones are big enough for my head. Most better phones have cups big enough to go around your ears and not mash them like smaller phones.

Now since you have an MXT, I do too, my advise is to get a set with a limiter circuit. I can keep my phones at maximum volume to better hear the faint signals. But when I hit a large or shallow target the limiter will only let the volume reach a comfortable level. The MXT can really hurt your ears and has no volume control. You have to have phones with volume control. Rob

Welcome Brian! You picked a wonderful detector. There are a few MXT users here, so don't hesitate to ask questions as they come up.

Welcome Brian! I don't think you will regret buying a quality machine. most of us worked our way up from lesser models. now register and keep us informed of your learning curve. Cladius.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

I appreciate all of the feedback, I made a few "minor" mechanical adjustment to the headphones, they now seem to do the trick. As far asthe MXT being a noisy machine, i'm learning that all too quickly, but the ground up here.... (wisconsin clay) has stuff from just about every glacier dragged through it so you never know what you are going to run into. I churned up about a buck and a half in clad today, an unexpalainable "rock" of sorts, please see the help me identify this thing catagory for the info on that one..... a partial iron ingot about 15 inches down, came up as iron target, sure enough..... 14 ounces of oblong ingot. (There used to be a quarrying operation nearby, until a water-fed spring caught them by surprise and they had to move it out. Hence pieces of things everywhere. I wasn't sure I would need one of those pinpointer detectors, man was I wrong. I learned this today after going through a square foot of sod for 75 cents in clad...lol (Yes I put it back as found...:)

All in all not a bad day, the MXT is broken in well..... My skills need some serious refining, but I am hopeful. About 100 yards from where I was earlier in the day, I got another iron hit, 12 inches down, turned out to be a massive steel plate, unknown dimensions.... Shovels were a bit small, so I covered it back for another day. The hands are sore, the machine is dirty, my den is a mess with muddy things I have no idea what they are. It was a good day. :grin: :grin:

Once again, I thank all for the warm welcome and hope to be posting some pics when I know what some of this stuff is, or get it cleaned up for some help with i.d.'ing it all.....:)

Take care all, nighters....

Bri-

Back
Top Bottom