• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Popular

I would probably throw 4 out there. Minelab equinox 800 and 600. Garrett at max and at pro.

HD

By what measure? The most popular metal detectors based on sales would likely be Bounty Hunter models and Garrett Ace series detectors. Those detectors introduce tons of people into metal detecting and are more than enough for somebody who only gets out a few times a year. Even people who get out often and are lucky enough to have lots of good permissions will have lots of fun cherry picking the best signals with one of those detectors.

Upgrade

I am looking to upgrade from the AT MAX. Trying to get an idea what to go to.

I am looking to upgrade from the AT MAX. Trying to get an idea what to go to.

You have a great all-purpose coin and relic detector good in dirt and freshwater. What conditions or goals are you facing that aren't being handled by the AT MAX? What is it about the AT Max that you don't like, and what would you prefer instead? What kind of detecting are you wanting to do? Do you plan on keeping the AT Max and want something to complement it, or something that will replace it by doing all it can and more?.

That depends on when and where. Lately, in the USA probably Garrett AT series and the Minelab Equinox series.

In Europe lately its probably XP Deus and Nokta/Makro Kruzer/Anfibio detectors.

Currently I own 3 out of the 4 above and have owned all four brands in the past.

They all work well. Which one you choose will depend on the sites you are detecting and your ailments or lack thereof.

Some are detectors are better in iron dense environments, some are better on the beach, some are better with high mineral content soil. Some are lighter than others and some are built better than others and have more coils/accessories. Some have more settings to tweak than others.

I am confident saying you'll do fine with any of the brands above in most environments. (However in wet sand at saltwater beaches, I would lean toward the Minelab Equinox)

D

Not sure

You have a great all-purpose coin and relic detector good in dirt and freshwater. What conditions or goals are you facing that aren't being handled by the AT MAX? What is it about the AT Max that you don't like, and what would you prefer instead? What kind of detecting are you wanting to do? Do you plan on keeping the AT Max and want something to complement it, or something that will replace it by doing all it can and more?.

Lots of chatter with the max, still learning it, I will keep it, just looking for an upgrade.

Lots of chatter with the max, still learning it, I will keep it, just looking for an upgrade.

I have to admit that I don't like the audio on the Max at all, and I've heard others say the same. Harsh and scratchy. Maybe the idea was to make it easy to hear hunting in the woods and fields without headphones. So, that's a good thing if you like to hunt that way. Some detectors are barely audible over wind, rolling water, or general background noise in a city.

I like the AT Pro audio better....it's very descriptive and you can tell a lot about separation between targets, how "solid" a target is, and how deep it is, the general shape, all without looking at the screen. But, the tones can also be really abrupt and hard on my ears for long periods. Deep targets are a lot quieter than shallow, so you'll blow your ears out using headphones if you turn the volume up to hear faint deep targets and then run across a shallow aluminum can. Yikes! I don't use it for long periods under some conditions for that reason.

In the meantime, don't feel like you should run the Max on full sensitivity, if that's what you're doing. Maybe that will help with the chatter, and actually improve target separation, too.

salt water beach - excal, CZ 21, Nox and Sovereign popular with experienced hunters on the Florida Treasure coast. Than White's Beach Hunter and CTX 3030's.

I have to admit that I don't like the audio on the Max at all, and I've heard others say the same. Harsh and scratchy. Maybe the idea was to make it easy to hear hunting in the woods and fields without headphones. So, that's a good thing if you like to hunt that way. Some detectors are barely audible over wind, rolling water, or general background noise in a city.

I like the AT Pro audio better....it's very descriptive and you can tell a lot about separation between targets, how "solid" a target is, and how deep it is, the general shape, all without looking at the screen. But, the tones can also be really abrupt and hard on my ears for long periods. Deep targets are a lot quieter than shallow, so you'll blow your ears out using headphones if you turn the volume up to hear faint deep targets and then run across a shallow aluminum can. Yikes! I don't use it for long periods under some conditions for that reason.

In the meantime, don't feel like you should run the Max on full sensitivity, if that's what you're doing. Maybe that will help with the chatter, and actually improve target separation, too.

I went out with it today and tried custom mode with 44 disc. Notched out 40 45 50 and 60. Sensitivity in the middle. Much quieter. Found pennies, nickels, dimes, 1 quarter and one sacagawea dollar. And of course pop top and pulltabes.

I went out with it today and tried custom mode with 44 disc. Notched out 40 45 50 and 60. Sensitivity in the middle. Much quieter. Found pennies, nickels, dimes, 1 quarter and one sacagawea dollar. And of course pop top and pulltabes.

So, that's good right?

I think the Equinox, Anfibio and Garrett AT series are the so called most popular as far as who is making videos on you tube.

I have just purchased the XP ORX and so far it is way better than the others in my line up I currently own. Planning on keeping it and thinning the herd a bit.

It is not that the others cannot perform but it is because of the simplicity, performance and weight of the ORX which makes it stand out from the others. I Love it!!!

Back
Top Bottom