• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Clean Plugs in Florida, or am I chasing Unicorns?

KirkS

So like any good, conscientious metal detectorist, I want an area to look like I was never there after I leave. I see guys/gals from other areas digging plugs in nice rich soil, and then it looks like they were never there.

I practiced in my yard, and what we have here in Florida is a sand/soil mix that doesn't clump or stay together at all. The 'grass' roots seem to be very shallow, and and even if I just try and pop the grass layer, even that seems to fall apart. I thought it was maybe my yard, but it's the same in the parks and tot-lots I've hit, so I guess it's Florida. I do the best I can to replace the 'plug' (or reasonable facsimile of a plug), but it looks like !!!!. :no:

Is this how it is in all of Florida? Do you guys just do the best you can, and move on? I don't leave holes, but 95% of the time it's obvious it was dug. Is there a trick to dealing with FL's pseudo-soil?

I also love the fact that the more sand you take out the hole, the hole doesnt get any deeper just wider .. ya sometimes it good to go after a nice downpour

Yep, that's Florida for ya. Even if you do a good job filling your holes, some opossum or fox squirrel will come along later and dig it back out to see what you buried. One day I had a black and white fox squirrel come right behind me and dig out the hole I had just refilled. He wanted to steal my nuts.

Kirk, I was detecting a St. Pete city park along Tampa Bay once, for about an hour. Was detecting in the grass, using a screw driver. Didn't seem to make any mess, nobody was complaining. Got a handful of newer coins. St. Pete had 38 city-owned parks in 1942. I remember someone posted they found silver coins in a St. Pete city park, but did not want to say which park, as silver was seldom found in the area. So maybe there is some soil variation. Best wishes, George (MN)

Back
Top Bottom