New Digs in an Old Neighborhood

CZconnoisseur

Just got moved into the new place which is in one of the older areas of Colorado Springs - this neighborhood dates back to the 1890s and there's a school undergoing renovation that was built back in 1902.

Some sidewalk sections have been dug up for the school renovation, and I was lucky enough to hit the dirt piles that night and snag several Wheats. the next day, I planned on hitting the dirt piles again, but they had been carted off to an unknown location - maybe next time I will follow the dump truck and maybe get lucky!

The house we moved into was built in 1949, so not as old as some houses but still well within the "silver range". Mike and I have dug only one silver each - he dug a 1919 Merc on the first night while a couple days later I found a masked war nickel...so the potential is there (we haven't even touched the back yard LOL)

We've been low on rain, so digging almost anywhere is a chore...I broke out the Ground Shark the other night for sidewalk strips around the property, and was able to dig a lot of clad...main goal is to clear off the easy and shallow targets and then go low and slow for the deeper, older stuff. I've dug several 6-7" deep Memorials which is a little disheartening, but also from the 7" mark came an Indian cent...so there is hope! :clapping:

Mike and I decided to hit the old park the other night, and managed a 1916 S Merc along with a Wheat...there was plenty of excitement in the air when I saw the 1916 date and then realized there was a mintmark! This coin had some dirt clinging to the reverse side, and I didn't want to scratch it at all should there be a "D" mintmark present!

I was using 4kHz at the park with Reactivity 1...for some reason it seemed to reach a little deeper that night - the dime was between 8 and 9 inches deep but the 11" coil hit on it confidently, and gave a nearly solid "85" VDI. The Wheat was at 8" deep and maybe 18" away from the dime, and between the two coins was a square tab at almost the same depth.

Still digging mountains of trash, but the few good and the rare exceptional finds make it all worthwhile! I will be interested to see if the 9" HF coil will manage anything deeper than the 11" coil in this environment. 10 inches seems like the absolute limit with the 11" coil on a dime/penny-sized UNDISTURBED target in our soil. I suspect there are gold coins in this park - the 9" HF coil just needs to see ONE of them LOL.... SAM_3341.jpg

SAM_3342.jpg

SAM_3344 (1).jpg

SAM_3345 (1).jpg

Great Finds. Looks like you found a great spot !!
Just found a pendant identical to the bigger one yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom