Is it possible to identify the age of this grappling hook?

CyrilliumOH

Found at a park that ive found coins goinf back to the 1840s in NE Ohio. Thanks for looking!
9d33d4f497c1d5ba8893e392409767e1.jpg
efba897f48f3886e09fd1eafac4b76f1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Could be a home made anchor. Around here commonly called wreck anchors. Generally made from rebar. With a wreck anchor, you can anchor up on a wreck, very rocky area, whether a jetty or a rocky river etc. If the anchor gets hung up, you can usually pull on it hard enough to bend the stuck tine and free the anchor. Rebend the tine and you're back in business. A standard anchor would never bend and you'd end up cutting her off. At $30 - $60 apiece, that gets costly. Hence, the wreck anchor. Used up here all the time.

I found it in the middle of a forrest next to a creek with a deep ravine but only less than a quarter inch water in it. Do you all think it is old or newer, and worth anything?

To my eye, the welds appear as though they were made with an arc welder, so I'd guess it's not all that old or valuable. Just a homemade tool for expedience.

Is it possible that the little creek at one time was actually navigable ? Is it possible that the ravine was once a canal, skirting around a shallow section of the creek ?

Some trappers use drag anchors, depending on whether there is a lot of underbrush to catch the anchor hook nearby the set.The idea is to catch the animal along a road or open field which normally would be in open view of passing people and allow it to run to and entangle in concealment cover.....

Some trappers use drag anchors, depending on whether there is a lot of underbrush to catch the anchor hook nearby the set.The idea is to catch the animal along a road or open field which normally would be in open view of passing people and allow it to run to and entangle in concealment cover.....
That's what I'd say, looks like a coyote grapple.

Think it is worth more than 5 bucks for its historical value? ;$

Hal Sullivan is a famous trapper from Ohio.He used grapples for bobcat and coyote.It is possibly worth $10-15, maybe $20-25 if it were one that Hal Sullivan used.:?:

Back
Top Bottom