• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Tesoro value

normx2

Elite Member
Believe I'll hang on to mine, today this one sold for more than new price 20 years ago. It is a great little detector😃

Last edited:
Believe I'll hang on to mine, today this one sold for more than new price 20 years ago. It is a great little detector.��
I do not buy or sell on that e-auction place, but I did watch that for the last 30 minutes of the bidding process.

I know how well yours works and looks, and the terrific price you got it for. :wow2: A day after I sent it out I had an e-mail and a phone call offering $375 and $400 for it ... but it was gone.

This past several months I have been trimming my personal arsenal ... a lot of trimming ... and I'm shipping one out today that's very good but not like that one that just sold, or yours, or mine. A friend was headed off on a detecting trip in mid-November (a 'snowbird' who heads south for a few months) and needed a 6" Concentric coil, but couldn't find one quick enough or decent enough and talked me out of mine since it's winter here.

I had to find a 6" Concentric for the Bandido II µMAX that's going to the Post Office today, so other than my Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" Concentric, all I have is a long-cable brown 8" coil on-hand. I might have to offer my personal, pristine Bandido II µMAX with the 8" coil, or just listen to some reasonable offers for the unit w/o a coil. I know a lot of Tesoro fans out there have an extra coil or two hanging around

I'm going to post my personal unit for sale in a day or two, but after his morning's e-offer sale, my oldest son (who does do the e-bid site) said I ought to just get photos and list it there.

Maybe, but I think I can get a reasonable offer just using Classifieds. The Bandido II µMAX is one of the best performing and most proven Tesoro model they made, in my opinion, and it appears there are a lot of others out there as well. I think the one this morning had 58 viewers. I was going to ask $350 w/o a coil, and $395 w/8" brown coil.

Just enjoy your unit all you can.

Monte

Thanks Monte, I used to often think about the Bandido 2 micromax I bought new in 1998 and how dumb it was to sell it later. I just didn't know any better back then but fortunately I did hang on to my Shadow x2 outfit.

And yes you're right, the B2 you sold me is indeed as new thank you and works perfectly so I won't be selling this one. The 3 coils I have for the Shadow interchange with the B2 so the 2 detectors compliment each other and are hard to beat.

I have to remind myself that a sizeable number of folks in the hobby today have never used a detector without a screen and some have a hard time believing that they're any good. In truth this hobby was built on analog detectors producing notable finds. Many of which go unduplicated today.

So, regardless of a detectors make, model, or age?. It's probably worth remembering (or learning) how it all came about and what brought us this far.

Last edited:
I've regretted selling my B2u and want another. I was watching that one but $452, holy crop!!!!

I've regretted selling my B2u and want another. I was watching that one but $452, holy crop!!!!

Yep, but the B2 new was 450 bucks in 1998 and that was pretty darn expensive then. it is unusual though to see any detector come back like that over 20 years.:shock:

Most 20 year old detectors today you can't give away.

Most B2u's sell for $275-300 on feebay. There were some real desperate or competitive bidders.

Thanks Monte, I used to often think about the Bandido 2 micromax I bought new in 1998 and how dumb it was to sell it later. I just didn't know any better back then but fortunately I did hang on to my Shadow x2 outfit.
Unfortunately, Tesoro didn't produce the Bandido II µMAX (microMAX) for very long. Production was from its introduction in 10/'97 through 1/'71 and it carried an MSRP of $469. I can't tell you how many of them I have bought ot traded for and then let go, but I also have kept a watchful eye for very good condition specimens to have on-hand to sell to savvy individuals who can appreciate what they offer. I have had as many as 4 Bandido II µMAX specimens at a time.

Hanging on to the Tesoro-made Shadow X2 was a good move. Personally, my #2 Tesoro I like to keep around is the Silver Sabre µMAX which is what the Shadow X2 was designed from, and they are equally versatile 'turn-on-and-go' versions of the Bandido II µMAX.

The 3 coils I have for the Shadow interchange with the B2 so the 2 detectors compliment each other and are hard to beat.
Coil compatibility can be a handy thing, at least for some folks. For me, I have other detectors to provide different site handling and only need one coil for any of my Tesoro units, and that is a 6" Concentric. For the select needs I grab a Tesoro for, the smaller-size coil is a perfect match.

From mid-'83 I mostly used the 7" Concentric, and the only two other coils I have enjoyed were the thinner-style 'Super 7 Inch' Concentric for the Shadow X2, and then the slightly smaller 6" Concentric. One reason I also like the 6" is because it is a white-colored search coil and that lets me visually track its coverage when I can spot it as I work in and around and under sage brush and other vegetation in the older, overgrown places I prefer to search.

I have to remind myself that a sizeable number of folks in the hobby today have never used a detector without a screen and some have a hard time believing that they're any good. In truth this hobby was built on analog detectors producing notable finds. Many of which go unduplicated today.
Oh so true. They want Tone ID, visual Target ID, and most also want to have a detector they don't really have to learn. By that I am referring to the Bandido II µMAX's use, and reliance, on a proper manual Ground Balance. So many hobbyists today still do not understand what Ground Balance is, how to adjust for it, and the trade-offs of having an errant GB setting.

So, regardless of a detectors make, model, or age?. It's probably worth remembering (or learning) how it all came about and what brought us this far.
A lot of changes in detector design and performance got us to where we are today .... and a lot of good detector performance has been left behind with some of the so-called 'advances.' Heck, most detectors offered now still can't match the quick-response and fast-recovery we've been enjoying with these good analog Tesoro's for over thirty-five years now.

Physically, I just can't handle a lot of detectors I used to enjoy and have been thinning my Outfit for months now. I just received a brand new Fisher F44 yesterday to keep a different search coil mounted, and to maintain the light-weight integrity of my detector line-up, but I'll always have a couple of the light and handy Tesoro's on-hand because they work so well.

Monte

Yep, There was a time Monte when the focus was on what we were searching for instead of what we were searching with and the finds came easier and more frequent.

what do you think of your "mojave" as opposed to the rest of your tesoros?
i think the "new kid on the block" has made a fair representation of itself now that
it's about disappeared from the market. i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

what do you think of your "mojave" as opposed to the rest of your tesoros?
i think the "new kid on the block" has made a fair representation of itself now that
it's about disappeared from the market. i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

All I can say is if you try one, you'll want one, and if you buy one? you'll keep it.:D

Last edited:
I was shocked to see that Bandito sell for so much. But there were two people who really wanted it and bid it up back and forth instead of just waiting until the last few seconds and entering the highest amount they were willing to pay. The psychology of two bidders wanting to "win" in a bidding war is a seller's dream scenario.

Even after fees, the seller wound up with almost $400 for that Bandito. I don't think he would have gotten that much listing on the forums, and no doubt would have gotten some bitching about him being crazy and/or greedy.

Even after fees, the seller wound up with almost $400 for that Bandito. I don't think he would have gotten that much listing on the forums, and no doubt would have gotten some bitching about him being crazy and/or greedy.
Well, it was a very clean-looking specimen. Almost as pristine as my keeper Bandido II µMAX. I could easily sell mine today for $400, and have turned down two such offers for this particular unit this past year.

So, Yes, such prices can be asked for ,or even offered, and Yes, some of us happen to hold a very clean Bandido II µMAX in very high regard. I also have a Silver Sabre microMAX that is almost as spiffy as my Bandido II and I have both of them outfitted on the newer brush-finished rod system instead of the gold hue anodized rod. They look great! But, they are NOT for sale.

There one up there now to go off tomorrow, on Sunday at 7:?? PM ,and it's at $157.50. Looking closely you can see it's not as clean, but it's not terrible, either, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for somewhere in the $280 to $375 range.

Monte

Tesoros have kind of a cult following; proud member here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are absolutely right about that Bandito being pristine, Monte.

But the last 100+ of the $453 was two people who really wanted it, bidding back and forth, bumping up their bids incrementally.

Tesoro detectors have a dedicated following for sure. And certain models like the Bandito 2 microMax (you taught me a long time ago that greek symbol for micro is not a u) are particularly revered. And when someone as highly regarded as you are regularly extols its virtues, that adds to the demand as well.

Now that Tesoro is no longer producing detectors, I would imagine there will be a certain nostalgia and collector aspect lifting prices for clean specimens of those favorite Tesoro models.

All I can say is if you try one, you'll want one, and if you buy one? you'll keep it.:D

i already have one! great little detector for wackin' curb strips,and totters.
keep it in my car along with my "ready to rock" tesoro pouch with ''tools"
no reason not to have it with you! sweet audio.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

i already have one! great little detector for wackin' curb strips,and totters.
keep it in my car along with my "ready to rock" tesoro pouch with ''tools"
no reason not to have it with you! sweet audio.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Words of wisdom there Jmaryt: This year think I'll start a "Mojave finds post" maybe other Mojave users will join in.:yes:

Last edited:
That is all I been using since they come out. All my other Tesoros are collecting dust. They are not for sale either. I do have a Fisher 1266x I might sell if the price is right.. KEN :D

That is all I been using since they come out. All my other Tesoros are collecting dust. They are not for sale either. I do have a Fisher 1266x I might sell if the price is right.. KEN :D

Right on Ken, turn on and go instead of turn on and wait ain't all bad😀

Back
Top Bottom