1939 Nickel

MDMike

Last Friday I found a 1939 nickel that has been shot. And because it has been shot, I'd like to clean it up somehow. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thx, Mike

DSCF1115.jpg

well, I looked a little farther down and saw angellionels psot suggesting the use of ammonia to clean pre-war nickels. That didn't do anything on this one so I tried someone elses suggestion of salt and lemon juice. And it works. Unfortunately though for this nickel, the time spent on the beach has pitted the coin and it now shows. However, it is a bit more presentable and the date is easily read.

P1010773.jpg

P1010775.jpg

what i would do, you should probably not do this, but take the coin between 2 pieces of wood and crush it. if you want it straight. But do what u want

If you want to keep it, try placing it in very, very hot olive oil and then between two wooden boards, and press like hell. I have heard tales of that straightening out bent coins.

If not, use Mother's Mag & Aluminim polish on it. This will make it look like the day it was minted. But of course, purest will tell you that polishing with any kind of mild abrasive will ruin the value of a coin. Given that it has been shot, I doubt it has any real value now anyway.

Good luck. Post pic when done.

I was able to make flat a dime found in the same condition. I used wood, as mentioned previously, and the vise on my work bench. You'd never know it was semi-round at one time!

Back
Top Bottom