Rolex...real or fake?

Aquaman

Elite Member
I fanned this out today:yes: You tell me, based on the links I've posted and my pics, real or fake? It's heavy (127g). The second hand is smooth. The date fills the glass bubble (although it's a little scratched up). It has the laser etched crown. The "Pepsi" bezel came out a bit beat up but the watch functions perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh8HhhGbAN4&feature=related

http://www.luxurypreownedwatches.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=98

BTW, I took it to a specialty watch repair guy to have the band fixed so I know the answer.

Attachments

• Rolex 1.jpg
    Rolex 1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 2,764
  • Rolex 3.jpg
    Rolex 3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 2,212
  • Rolex 4.jpg
    Rolex 4.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,590
  • Rolex 5.jpg
    Rolex 5.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,716
  • Rolex 6.jpg
    Rolex 6.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2,163
  • Rolex 7.jpg
    Rolex 7.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 2,302
  • Rolex 8.jpg
    Rolex 8.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,153
  • Rolex 9.jpg
    Rolex 9.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 2,409
:DI say fake because I don't think the GMT-Master 2s with the Pepsi bezel ever had printing or engraving on the rehaut like the one in your picture. The new GMTs do have the 'branded rehaut' but do NOT have the Pepsi bezel. Yours is a Frankenrolex!

Last edited:
Nice find Aquaman, I'm no expert but I'll have to go with it being FAKE though. Have found 3 fakes so far. Even had the crown etched on the glass like yours one is still working even after being in the water for a long time.
What I looked for was like the lady said in the video just look at the over quality of workmanship, that watch you found has a few details that just don't measure up to the quality I'd expect from an expensive watch like that. One is the 18K stamp it just doesn't look the part. And another is the crown stamp on the clasp.
Like I said I'm no expert would like to be wrong for your sake :lol:

Nice find Aquaman, I'm no expert but I'll have to go with it being FAKE though. Have found 3 fakes so far. Even had the crown etched on the glass like yours one is still working even after being in the water for a long time.
What I looked for was like the lady said in the video just look at the over quality of workmanship, that watch you found has a few details that just don't measure up to the quality I'd expect from an expensive watch like that. One is the 18K stamp it just doesn't look the part. And another is the crown stamp on the clasp.
Like I said I'm no expert would like to be wrong for your sake :lol:

Also the "18k gold" models are just that....gold. This watch has no gold color on it at all. I also think the real ones say "Steelinox" on the inside of the band....this one says "Steblhox". ?? I could be totally wrong though! :lol:

Last edited:
Does the "seconds" hand sweep or tick? I've been told ticks are knockoffs. Not sure how true.

It looks suspect but the serial number is correct in that it dates to 2003. Looks stainless steel but is marked 18K. The serial number is supposed to be between the lugs, you would have to take the band off to see it. It is a fake IMO. After 2005 they put the serial number where it is on that watch. Even the way the hands are installed on the watch looks cheap. I saw lots of these in Korea when I was there in 1977. Everything in Korea at that time was fake.

Last edited:
I know nothing about Rolex watches but if I found that I would be totally convinced that it is real and heartbroken if it was fake. It looks well-made. However, it looks more stainless steel than 18K from the picture. BTW, if it is fake but still works I will give you $10 for it! :lol:

don't know much about them but to me, the 18K does not look right,,,gold has a very unique look when stamped,,,,did you acid test it? regardless aquaman,,that is a really nice find,,,great job!

Yeah, I don't know watches either, seldom even where one. Wouldn't think an expensive watch would have a lot of information, logos, they company name all over their product. A quality brand, speaks for itself, no need to advertise it, or boast all it's features. But then again, it's more like a status symbol, for those who don't just want something that looks expensive, but something everyone will know is insanely, frivolously, expensive. Like spending $89 on Nike shoes, for a 2 year old. The Pepsi face though, seems odd for an expensive watch, some sort of promotional prize? Would explain the large amount of advertising printed on it.

Real or fake, it's still pretty cool, and a conversation piece. Probably cost quite a bit to get it restored, scuff marks smooth off. Even if real, doubt I'd go to that expense.

Id be ok even with a fake that good. Better than the Timexs ive been finding or the sports watches with the stretch band. Sure way to tell is if Rolex is spelled Rolexx :laughing: My question would be are these things registered and would the guy looking at it be trying to find the owner..... that would be a bummer. If you go back and his shop isnt open.... chances are the watch was real and he is now on vacation. Man ... why cant i have people dumb enough around here to be wearing a Rolex on the beach?

Dew

Drum roll please...and the answer, it's real ly fake:lol:

I knew nothing about Rolex watches before finding this watch. Now I know more about Rolex watches than I ever wanted. When I took it to the specialty watch repair guy and told him that I found it metal detecting his first response when I asked if it was real was, "It looks like ya done good". It wasn't unitil he removed one of the band clasps closest to the case that he let out a groan of dissapointment and "sorry" soon followed. Said it was the best knock off he'd ever seen though.

Oh well, easy come easy go. Next time!

Back
Top Bottom